Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

learning styles

In a class of 40 students I find it difficult to accommodate all students and their learning styles. If anyone has this challenge please let me know what you have done.

I've had at times approx. 30-35 students, what I tend to do is teach the subject and then ask questions to see what types of answer I would get that would hopefully tell me that the students understand the material or I leave it up to each student while I give time for questions and feedback.

James, soliciting feedback is an important educator role, no matter how many students are in your class.

Michele Deck

In the lecture part of my class I tend to use different types of teaching tools. For example I might have a diagram of the human skull on the board while I have a replica of the same skull to touch and take apart if they wish. I also use drag and drop games so they can put the skull together on the computer. Every part is colored brightly so it catches the eye.

Julie,

I do the same thing! Luckily I had some incredible instructors as my mentors. I really can't take any of the credit. They had it all in place prior to me going the collage.

Julie, you know the importance of varying the methods information can be presented in. I wish I met educators who inherently know this and do not overuse lecture alone.

Michele Deck

Large class sizes do present more of a challenge when coming up with individual learning types.

Many of my healthcare classes start out at 40 with all of the medical specialty areas represented so I can easily relate to that.

One thing that helps me is that most but, sadly, not all of my textbooks have built in material on their publisher's website that helps each learner .

Our Medical Terminology has crosswords, word searches, spelling bees, beat the computer, any many other learning opportunities for each type of learner. Many have interactive labeling exercises. There's also an area where the entire lecture is available. They can make flashcards, hear an audio glossary....

I don't always have a chance to use them in class. But I do take 15-30 minutes periodically to show the material, practice it briefly and encourage them to use it.

Donald, if an instructor teaches in a variety of ways and encourages students to teach each other benefits all those in larger classes.

Michele Deck

Dee, thank you for modeling to the learners the various resources attached to the textbook. Making them aware is part of it, the other focus is that you want to help them learn and these are valuable tools that will assist.

Michele Deck

I like to pair up different types of learners so they can "feed" off of each others styles. A jabber and a loner can balance each other out. If two loners sit together, it can be difficult to get them to join in on the discussion and often is hard to get multiple jabbers to give others a chance to speak out.

Margaret, mixing and matching those with different learning and communication styles can offer learners a glimpse of the real world.

Michele Deck

I have this challenge with some of my courses, as well as the challenge of not having time to implement these types of activities. I teach 19-20 credit hours per semester at one school, and 8 hours per week throughout the year at another school. For several of my classes I also need to keep up-to-date with current research, in addition to planning lectures and discussions to ensure student learning outcomes are met.

Sorry, didn't finish that last post. I do think that I can make small changes in my techniques that will add up over time to help me to reach a broader spectrum of students.

Rick, I know time management is a challenge for all of us who teach. I agree with your next post, that small changes can make a big difference.

Michele Deck

I teach at a college that offer a condensed program so have to go over a lot of material in a very short amount of time. I try to mix learning techniques to accommodate the different styles if time permits. For example, when going over a diagnostic value such as central venous pressure, I bring in the medical equipment that measures it. The kinesthetic learner can touch the equipment get the association. If I had more time, I would do this type of teaching technique more often.

Aprilyn, it is good to use hands on learning when you have the time.

Michele Deck

I allow my students to share with the class self study techniques that help them. Encouraging additional dialogue, and class participation.

Jacquelyn, this can make learners aware of techniques they had rejected from the instructor, but see more value in them when peers recommend them.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment