Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What I normally do when Teaching Dental Anatomy or Human Anatomy.

For dental anatomy as well as human anatomy I try to reach all kinds of learners by:
1) I almost never do a Power Point Slide with just typed words; I always add pictures next or below the typing words. Of course, the pictures must be related to the concept presented. In that way I reach the visual.
2) While lecturing, I reach the auditory learners.
3) I encourage students to take notes which will benefit all my students to get a long memory as well as writing will benefit Writer words learners.
3) Right after 10-18 minutes of sliding presentation I do a drawing and coloring activity related to what I just presented as well as I give them real natural teeth and the bones from skeleton to identify structures, tissues, and bones to reach the kinesthetic learners.
But now, that I have been presented all of these new ideas to reach all the type of learner, I do definitively will use them as part of my regular classes. I am so happy to have read and learned those.

Jennie, you are reaching. All your learners with your methods. Keep up the great work!

Michele Deck

I have them write poems, songs, wraps etc..and presnet them to the class

julie, this is a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing it.

Michele Deck

I also use the power points with pictures and relate the pictures to the ones in the textbook. I add to the lecture with examples and we also google pictures and use you tube for some of the videos- you have to be selective because not all the videos are in english.

Power Point usage is one of the most common negative feedback I receive from students about other classes. They tend to be less interested when instructors merely read off of the slides; the above post is a nice example on how to avoid this pitfall.

Christopher, I agree with your students. If an instructor can not talk to me without reading, it seems they don't know the material.

Michele Deck

I use Power Points and do read the material to the class on them however, ad lib my own information and extra explanations along with them. I offer my students a handout of the slides as well as an outline of the same material with blanks that they can fill in as I lecture.

I have also gotten a lot of negative feedback from the students regarding power point presentations. They were simply bored with it. I now write on the board and manage the class in such a way that it is very interactive throughout the lecture. Having the students take notes from my notes on the board is also a good way of getting them to come to class.

Youtube is such a great resource for educators especially in the medical field. There are so many great videos of procedures that we can show our students. Things that they wouldn't be able to see other wise.

Melissa, I agree with you and I look for small snippets to show my classes.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment