Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Computer based learning

How would you do a lecture on terminology when all of your students are at different stages in the course? Will the games and puzzels still work?

I put all the students on teams of people who are at all the different stages together. I lecture for a short time, then I give them a few minutes to do an activity together to win points. The people further along teach the ones who are not. This allows them to help teach each other.

Is your lecture on a certain region of the body or prefixes/suffixes? Do you corrilate the lecture with the activity that you have them do? I'm willing to try anything.

I do correlate the lecture with the activity so that when students remember the activity, they remember the content.

I put the strong students with the weaker ones.
This helps everyone learn. The games and puzzles still work because they apply to all levels.

Pairing students so they can help and teach each other sometimes overcomes learner barriers and is a great strategy to use. Why does the instructor have to be the only teacher in the room? Using everyone's knowledge, skills and expertise is a wise decision, Jennifer.

Those activities should work if they are studying the same material.

Yes, it is easier that way.

I would think it would work if the students were at different levels because it would help some with a review and push others with new words.

It does both of those things without the students being aware of it.

That's why I like to keep it simple and fun, therefore the learner doesn't realize they are even retaining the vocabulary until they are involved in some game and blurt out the correct answer. It is wonderful to see their confidence skyrocket!

Some learners no doubt will grasp certain parts of the body easier than others, whether it is the skeletal system, the muscular sytem or the nervous system, for example. After a half-hour lecture you can divide the students into groups. It's okay if some excel more than others; that way they can all learn from each other. I think games after a lecture will create harmony amongst their peers.

A game when used as a learning strategy has the added benefit of getting people to work well together. This creates harmony and a sense of accomplishment for all.

Debbie, if you can keep teaching without them focusing on that, you are doing an excellent job!

I agree with your teaching strategy. I do this also Therefore, all student learns from each other. This empowers the entire class.
Mariann U

Yes, because although they may be at different stages of learning, in class they are all learning the same thing. they would be paired with a student that is ahead program wise and that wil also be helpful to them.

I have a very diverse class: I love it when see small groups aim at solving problems and students learning and really teaching eachother to retain information.

I agree with your method -it works well for my students and helps them remember the terminology better

Nedi, I hope you give some of these methods a try next time you teach terminology or other content driven courses.

Hi Michele, I already tried couple of the sugested methods with very good results and I definitely will continue to use them.

Sign In to comment