Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Complaining and lack of participation

How do you manage those students who complain about the activities being too childish or a waste of time, as well as those students who don't like to talk, or that don't want to participate?

Krista, I explain to them that talking and participating is an important skill to have when they graduate and have to work in the real world they are training for, I am here to give them the opportunity to learn that skill.

Michele Deck

Krista,
I have had classes that did not want to participate as well and what I had to realize is that all classes did not benefit from playing games. Instead I tried small discussion groups and it seamed to be received better.

I think that is a great response. I think it is so important to remind them every opportunity we get that they are enrolled in the course (the curriculum) for a reason; they are trying to better themselves or their lives and they need to stay focused on that. As they face hurdles and obstacles, it is easy for them to forget their goals and dreams.

Linda, taking people to the personal motivation that brought them to class is a powerful strategy.

Michele Deck

Oftentimes I will include a "bonus" point or two to the winning team/person when playing review games such as Bingo or Jeopardy. The points are low enough that they do not have a drastic change in the grading scale, but the students see them as valuable, and it does foster participation. For the class where everyone feels that games are immature, I may try the Flip Chart race, it actually uses materials/activities used in the corporate environment, so it may not seem "childish" to adults. Plus, it has the benefit of reviewing and clarifying learned material.

Jody, choosing your activities with a consideration of your students likes and dislikes is a wise and successful approach.

Michele Deck

I have run into this issue exactly. I chose a game that was more "team" oriented and not individualized. We play alot of pictionary and hang-man. Our students are pretty close nit and tend to protect those that are on the quiet side. I try not single either group out and try to partner them with the opposite. This seems to work.

Ronna, I garee that partnering students of different personality styles and learning styles can help them to get more out of class.

Michele Deck

I'm in agreement with partnering students of different personality styles and learning styles. I have done that in the clinical setting and it has seemed to balance out the personalities.

Mary, this mimics the real job world where they must work with a wide variety of people on a daily basis.

Michele Deck

It really depletes my desire to introduce creative and fun activities with my class when I have a group that is particulary negative and vocal. I do address complaining and being negative with the class as complaining is indicative of a bad attitude and is not generally well recieved on externship or a job. I have to remember that not everyone in the class feels that way (negatively about activities)the students that are complainers maybe just be more verbally assertive.I find that many times once we are involved in an activity, most of the students will get on board and actually enjoy it. Some students just need a little more prodding and encouragement to come out of their shell a little.

Lisa, I agree it is hard to deal with students with negative attitudes. I try to model positive ones myself, and as you have described, sometimes they will get into the activities and forget the bad emotions they are feeling.

Michele Deck

I find this to be true if I just get them to start, they usually find they have fun

Rebecca, it is work to get over learner resistance to change, but well worth the effort.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment