Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

medical termonilogy

how can i develop efficient marks to understand if the student is learning

Your testing can validate all the different methods you use to teach the information, Victor.

Even though they are learning, make it more fun since that will help them in creating a long term memory

Sunita, creating fun and positive emotion as part of the learning process will bring you student success and get better evaluations.

I have found this statement to be true also. Engaging students with fun classroom activities calls for great class participation and class hour to go by quickly. And students looking forward to the next class.

Tina, your insight will help to make you an excellent teacher. Look for opportunities to think like a learner and involve your learners as often as possible.

I agree that learning is always better if the students are engaged,

I believe learning is more fun and productive if the students are engaged. I give each student a term and ask them to write three questions related to that term ,I then create a test using their questions. First, I give the test open book, then review, and the following day give it closed book.
This has been very effective for me in the past. I will try using some of the other games listed in this module on an ongoing basis.
Mariann U

It's amazing to me how students sometimes write harder and better questions than I can. Keep using what you know is effective. I hope the new ideas are helpful to you.

I have definitely come to rely on flash cards to see if my students are actually learning. I'll use my own set of flash cards and in the beginning of class we will run through them. I can judge where the class is having difficulty because the responses to that flash card will be very quiet and lack the confidence that the well known cards get. If students know the material they all yell out the answer, but if it confuses them I can expect to get only two or three responses. I think this is a good way to test where the class is at without them realizing that I'm testing their knowledge and this also helps me focus the remainder of our class on the areas they need help with. Our texts website also has great interactive games that "score" how well a student does, and as the instructor I can track their progress on the same website. This also gives me a clue to how my students are coming along in that particular chapter and also shows me what areas we need to work on. Hopefully these ideas help!

Victor, maybe you can pause occationally during your lectures to assess the students' comprehension of the subject matter. You could assess if there are any questions or ask for discussion.

I think that I am going to try the three questions related to that term. I also will try giving my students an open book test and then in return give them the same test closed the following day. Great ideas. Thanks so much.

This is an example of proving your educational strategies work. Enjoy!

When students are engaged they tend to ask more questions and by asking questions they will absorb more information.

I will admit, giving the students an Open book test one day then with out the book the next day works. My students really did a great job of focusing on the word parts and more. Medical term is difficult for many because it looks like a new language for most students.

Flash cards are a requirement in my class. I agreee that they are a very good tool to validate if your student is learning.

I also make sure to have fill in the blank questions on my tests because with multiple choice its so easy to just guess.

I like fill in the blanks as well.

During class I will give students a quick five to ten question quiz. This is not for a grade, but it lets me see if the students are comprehending the material. Once we are done with the quiz the students can grade their own. This also lets the student see what they need to go back and review.

Jomarie Gagne

This is a stellar assessment and evaluation method.

I am constantly telling my students to use flash cards. I think that is an excellent way to learn this type of information. How many actually use them is probably a very small percent. I am strongly going to consider making them mandatory. I have a feeling grades will improve all around. great idea.

Sign In to comment