Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Long term recall

By the time my students get to my class they are in the final phase of their program. I am trying to find a way to help them recall all that has been learned in their coursework to help prepare them for their certification exam. Short of tests that review what they've learned from day 1, I am looking for better ideas.

Monica, using critical thinking scenarios and on the job questions can be a comprehensive review.

Michele Deck

I have found that group activities that "mock" or mimic real life scenarios tend to help students recall information from past lectures. For example, I teach a medical assistant course where students quickly forget clinical skills they may have learned 3 months ago. Every few weeks, I will have the students pretend to room a patient [in a medical office] to help jog their memories. Once they get a routine going, I see that they tend to recall past skills better.

Allysen, you are wise to incorporate past learning into real,life scenarios to offer further cognitive rehearsal for your learners.

Michele Deck

Positive reinforcement, Group learning,Multiple exposure and review of the contents, fun teaching with class or group interaction, less intimidation, allows the learners to retain information on a long term basis and long term memory storage and can recall the information(s) easier. Another long term memory storage concept will be the usage of all the senses.
I found that these learning and teaching concepts do have a Positive reinforcement in memory and recall.

Anthony, these items are essential. Thank you for your experience and thoughts.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment