Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom learning

If your program chair came into your classroom would he/she want to be your student? Something to think about whenever you are teaching.

I would certainly hope so, I try and meet the values of VARK to meet the needs of the learners, incorporating discussion by using case studies is another way to stimulate learning.

Case studies are excellent ways to foster discussion and increase critical thinking skills, Ione. Do you create them yourself or have a source of case studies you use?

Yes, and she has said so on many occasions.

I have the students look up case studies and then we discuss them in class. We go over the terminology in detail. The students enjoy reading what they will see in the doctor office.

Case studies are wonderful teaching methods, Jolanta. Keep up the good work

More to the point for me is would I want to attend my own class?! Many times I finish a lesson plan and ask the question, "Where's the fun in learning?" If I come up empty, I know I need to go back to the drawing board for a hook of some sort.

Vicki, teaching is a fluid process , as you noted, we must go back to the drawing bard at intervals to improve. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I have had excellent reviews from my students and other staff members. I try hard to keep the students engaged while i lecture and creat a postive hands on experience. Incorporate fun and allow discussions to blossom.

Terri

Terri, you get those reviews because you are making a difference to them. Keep up the good work!

Yes my program chair does classroom evaluations at least once per year and I always acheive high marks for utilizing creative methods that engage each type of learner. I myself get bored if I have to listen to someone lecture on and on and so I try to engage the students and encourage them to participate with the subject I am teaching so it is not just my voice they hear for an hour. We also do exercises and play games to make the experience fun as well.

Keep up the good work, Kim. I know your students appreciate your approach as you have seen reflected in your evaluations.

Good question. I believe she would, but it gives me something to think about for my next lecture. Thank you to all who have commented. I'm always up for learning from my peers.

Glad to see you have the attitude of a learner, yourself. It makes for an excellent teacher.

Thank you. I learn something new everyday here at our school. An instructor always has to stay on their toes. This is what I tell prospective students during the school interview process, "If you’re always willing to learn no matter your age, your potential is limitless!" I am a firm believer, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Have a great day.

Saria, your positive attitude is infectious. I'm sure your students appreciate it!

I make up a test with questions the students have created with regards to different disease processes and medications. Students feel empowered by this strategy.
Mariann U

Students often right harder questions than we would, Mariann, so that is a great strategy.

This is a great way to critically look at your class. I try to make sure that there is a part of the class that brings out that Ah-ha moment. I try to get a fact that will stay with the student about whatever subject I am teaching

I agree. Reflection is a critical aspect of each class period. With reflection most of the time you know if you connected with the students during that lessons. If you feel that you did not connect as well as you would have liked, then assess how you could enhance the lesson. Teaching is like learnig it's an ongoing process that is never quite complete. So, with reflection great lessons may still be enhanced.

Sign In to comment