Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is the area that I lacked with Medical Terminology. When I went to nursing school, it was about flashcards and memorization. I adopted that concept until recently when I found an interactive "memory game" and then just built from there.

Rosita, it's funny how things change. Technology has taken a role in making flashcards into games and interactive online formats. We can learn to adapt in our classes, too.

I feel in the diverse population I teach in, ages 17-73 that some on the basic levels I teach would be to simple for my program chair. My program chair is very educated and I would have to come up with an activity that would engage her to keep her from thinking it might be to simplified. I however feel that with the diverse group of student I have, I have to cover from the very simple to the more complex.

Bonnielee, it is a juggling act as to what needs to be covered with diverse groups. This is something that changes class to class. If you get through all the simple, and you have time to get to complex, do it.

At my institution, every couple of weeks, program managers and the Director of Education conduct informal evaluations on classroom activity from each instructor. Each faculty member is also evaluated for an entire class period once per term. This gives a "real" sense of what type of activities and instruction is going on in the classroom. It is not a way of playing "big brother"; it is more a way of sharing ideas and ensuring faculty are on the same page regarding instructional resources.

Dimitria, this sounds like a way for those not in the classroom to stay connected to those that are. I'd be thrilled if I had that opportunity. Thanks for sharing!

What are the values of VARK.

The book we use has a disc with a bunch of games on it that we play in class. Puzzles, labeling, concentration games, etc. I pass my laser light around the room and each students comments or gives insight in these games. They do get quite competitive.

I only know the percentages for Visual, auditory and kinesthetic. In the generalnpopulation visual is 70%, auditory 10%, Kinesthetic is 20%. In career schools kinesthetic is higher and visual is a bit lower.

If the instructor is engaging, motivational,and highly knowledgeable in the material being presented I would want to be part of that classroom atmosphere.

To break up the "boring lecture" I involve the students in discussing personal experiences.

Christine, involving the students with personal examples is a good plan.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment