Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

CHANGE IS A GOOD THING

If an instructor is not willing to step out of their comfort zone to learn something new that instructor will never grow as an educator. If I see that a technique I am using to teach my students is not working I will find a different way to reach them. I also ask the students to think of new ways that might help them learn a new skill or technique. It helps them to feel their opinion matters and it keeps them involved in the class.

Barbara, you are wise to involve your students. This offers a unique perspective that an instructor does not have when teaching.

Michele Deck

Students are always willing to let you know what works for them. When teaching adult student, you have to be flexible and come out of your comfort zone in order to reach them.

Yonne, I'm so glad you recognize that instructors must sometimes come out of their comfort zones. We ask learners to do this daily, but are frustrated when they are reluctant. It seems like a bit of confused purposes.

Michele Deck

Wonderful posts. Every class is different and has it own personality. We must adapt.

Sel, adaptability is the best trait an instructor can possess.

Michele Deck

I believe that we need to be willing to always accept that there could be not only other ideas but better ideas. So I think its important to always be willing to listen to others opinions in what we as instructors are putting out ther.

Norma, having an open mind and being willing to change are needed traits in a great instructor.

Michele Deck

I always ask for feed back from my students. I ask if they understand and if they don't understand I try to think of a new way to demonstrate the content. You can find the best ways to demonstrate the content from your own students.

It's great to be reminded that we must change our teaching methods when we realize we are not reaching the students. There are generational differences which require the instructors to change teaching methods.

Rudy, being aware of the importance of varying the methods used can't be underestimated.

Michele Deck

It is a good idea to be reminded. Often times towards the end of the year we have a tendency to be worn out and having something new to incorporate in class can be just the pick me up thats needed for the instructor and the student.

The students that we have now are much different than the stucdents that we had 10 years ago. We must adapt to the different styles of learning that the students have in today's society.

Rachel, I think learners have more attention lapses and multiple demands they did not have 10 years ago.

Michele Deck

I'm in favor of trying something new. It may be an informative lecture, but if the class falls asleep it was of no help. Some of the suggestions were good. Others frankly wouldn't work because I couldn't sell it. You have to be careful to pick activities you think will be fun and interesting. If you pick something you actually think is silly it will come across that way. I learned as a teenager if you act excited and interested, others will buy in.

Change isn't a bad thing, although scary if it isn't presented properly. Communication along with change is the key, I have found

Sign In to comment