Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Innovation

enjoyed lesson very innovative ideals and ways of teaching subject matters

Brenda, I'm glad you liked the ideas presented here. Now I hope you plan to implement one of them in your class this week.

I am alway looking for new innovative ways to teach. Thanks!!!

Darrell, you are welcome. I hope these help you to make your classes more effective.

Michele Deck

After reading the innovative teaching ideas in Module 3, I was thinking about how I could make the "Blood Smear Slide" procedure 'come alive' for the students in my Medical Assisting class. While taking a walk outside over the weekend, I noticed several blossoms from a magnolia tree had fallen to the ground. Upon inspecting them more closely, they had deep purple/pink sections on one end of the petal and these purple/pink colors were actually in a 'streaking pattern', going from deep to faded along the full length of the blossom. Suddenly I got the idea that I could use some of these blossoms to help reinforce the technique of making a blood smear slide.....the one end of the slide has a deep red color and fades as it extends the length of the slide........mirroring the same qualities as the magnolia blossom. I brought the blossoms into class this week and after the blood smear slide procedure, I asked the students if they saw any similarities between the procedure they just performed and the blossoms on their desks. Interestingly, they drew parallels between the characteristics of their blood smear slides and the patterns observed on the magnolia blossoms. They were fascinated about the connection between a medical procedure and items found in nature!

Heather, thank you so much for looking for a direct way to apply a creative, hands on, and visual approach to your blood smears. I appreciate you sharing how you did that with all of us in this course.

Michele Deck

Instructor should be creative and innovative
to enhance teaching and effectively convey
the information/concept among students.

Sign In to comment