Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom Portal Discussions

One option that I have used in the past is to create a discussion thread thru our student portal by placing a question to discuss. I offer participation reward points for keeping the thread active. Students benefit too by checking in their portal for any new classroom info or any new announcements.

That is a great way to ease your class into using multimedia. There are many essential questions, scenarios and reviews, that would benefit the students, to be able to join in an on going class discussion. With options including linking video and articles the possibilities are endless.

This is a great way to have an ongoing conversation over the course of a term. You can always add new topics into the mix when the conversation is lagging.

Because of limited access to use other forms of social communication, the Portal communication tool is a great option for students here at the school that I teach at.
I have used similiar tools to give out leading questions and follow up answers that assist them in knowledge retention, communication and of course helps them on many assessments.. But not ALL students takes advantage of this easy to use tool, as they are more involved in the other social media outlets and miss out on classroom activities and discussions.

I have been thinking about utilizing this feature quite a bit lately. Are you able to provide any hints to make implementation seamless?

Start off with a chat room discussion to allow the studetns to feel comfortable. In additiom, start off with an introduction to ones accomplishements then ask for one response from each of the studetns choice to comment on another student

I've used this in my class and it helps keep students engaged even when they're not in class. I teach a hybrid class so this is very useful in my classroom setting.

I think this option is a good idea, especially for veterinary technology students; we can post a clinical case and students can post their replies and recommendations on how to treat the patient, the patient's needs, and so on.

This is a useful way of creating class discussion; after, before and during lectures. I try to reach out to the class and get them to read and study before and after class that way during lecture days they are aware of what is going on and for them to understand the information when I am teaching them and so they are prepared for the written exam; but more than anything for them to retain the information.

Sign In to comment