Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Twitter

I never thought of twitter as a teaching/learning tool. I will definitely try it with my next class.

Renette ,

I am happy to hear you will be incorporating Twitter into your classroom learning environment. Twitter is a fantastic tool to keep learners engaged outside of class time and can promote interaction and collaboration with the group long after the course has concluded.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

This is an excellent idea. Students utilize email but i may not check messages until the morning. it would be great to have questions and ideas posted instantly. I will utilize this! Thanks

Marsha,

Please come back and share your experiences with using this new form of communication.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I really like the idea of using Twitter in my class. It can be used as real time questions as well as responses that the whole class can see. I can also use it as class and assignment reminders. Great idea !!!

I haven't either - I look forward to experimenting with its application within the classroom.

Renette,

I am with you, I have not thought about using Twitter as a tool, but I have been told numerous times that it is indeed a great tool to use in the classroom. I plan to use it in the future as well.

One concern I have with using Twitter in the classroom or to contact students, distribute information, etc. is that not every student has a smartphone. How would you go about making sure no one is excluded? If the information is available somewhere else then what is the motivation for using Twitter?

It is important to think it through before posting a message on twitter. Tweets can be misconstrued and misunderstood if not carefully structured.

I'm honestly not certain about using twitter in/for a class. For example our administration, isn't too keen upon the concept and has many sites blocked as "media sharing". Why? I honestly don't know, and have questioned this. However, trying to incoporate twitter into a class would be an extremely diffucult uphill battle.

I'd be interested in hearing both the pros and cons of people that have tried this as well as facebook.

I would have never considered Twitter as a viable learning tool either, but this has got my brain wondering. Not only could an instructor use this to have the students keep current on what is happening in their individual field of study, but the instructor could reach out to individuals who are already in the field to join in and contribute current life/work experiences as well.

Elizabeth,

Exactly! There is so much more too it. When Twitter first began to grow in terms of users, I also dismissed it assuming it was for following celebrities, but it can be a very powerful tool in education.

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment