Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Frustration with new techniques and technology

After incorporating an interactive presentation on powerpoint, it failed during lecture. Turned out that IT had updated the classroom computers which in turn removed all hyperlinks. this has happened on several occasions with video and other presentations that were meant to be interactive. I have found that links directly to web sites are often lost and so are no longer used. I am not opposed to technology in the classroom, quite the opposite but I wonder how others are dealing with constant issues in regards to the reliability of the new technologies. I only bring it up because I have not seen anything on the subject yet, and it's the only thing that truly frustrates me about the topics discussed in this class.

Jeff,

As long as you have the actual url in the comments section of your presentation, you will be fine. You will need to rebuild the slide after class should the new browser not recognize the link, but as long as it is in the comments section, which goes unseen by the student, you can copy and paste it into the current browser and it will work.

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

I would also find other possible back up interactive presentations just in case something of this nature occurred. Something don't always require tech.

I think there are many facets to this set of issues.
Licencing issues: Sometimes our IT can not upload even a free software because it needs institutional permission or needs licencing for the institute.Cost has a role to play in this frustration but I think that its about time that the academic institutes think big and do collaborations with eg google and use their products like google apps. Googlr doc is very commonly used these days.
The issue ZI have noticed is the limited capability of many instructors with these apps. They are not very comfortable themselves. Infact students may be more proficient in those.

Sign In to comment