Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How can you use discussion boards to assess learner reactions to instr

How can you use discussion boards to assess learner reactions to instructional activities?

Taisa,

In my experience, students open up on discussion boards and share a side of themselves they may not share in class. This leads to deeper, more meaningful conversations in an online environment where they may not feel so inhibited. I often use the class discussion board to discuss a film or a lecture topic discussed earlier in the week, allowing students time to reflect on the lecture and do a bit of research on their own.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Students feel more able to express their own opinions rather than stick to a formated assignment. Especially when commenting back on ones peer responses. In the end it makes everyone feel comfortable.

I think I might be looking into this too deeply. I agree the discussion board creates an environment for open communication but I do not think it can ASSESS the reaction. When I think of ASSESS in education I think of measurement. The discussion board allows a teacher to understand what the student is thinking without measuring it, which is what I think makes it such a safe environment. Am I totally off track here?

Sign In to comment