Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Power Point

I feel that by incorporating a basic "power-point" format utilizing a "white-board" as the screen, I can involve the students by having them actively participate during the presentation. This form of interaction significantly benefits the entire class.

William,

What a fantastic idea, thank you for sharing! Incorporating various and innovative opportunities for students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the material in a hands-on manner aids in keeping learners engaged and guarantees spontaneous and meaningful contributions from the class.

Yours in learning,

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

I agree. I typically use a power-point format and use the white-board as the screen I even ask students to go up to the board and present their ideas and thoughts.

I've also used this when possible - it is very effective. I know that the electrical instructors at our school also find this very, very effective since it allows them to add to the powerpoint material while answering specific questions.

when using the whiteboard as the screen, let the students come forward and label the parts, structures etc and explain what each does. I find this very helpful at the end of a presentation to assess learning (just have a good eraser!)

I agree. I remeber when teaching an EKG class The other instructor and I using power point and the projector in the class, placed a blank picture of a heart. We broke the class into groups. Each group had to discuss and label the flow of blood through the heart. The students enjoyed it. Thy were very eagar to come to the board to leabel a step. They asked if their were other exercises like that for the class to do and if other teachers do it as well.

I've found it so beneficial to do the same in my classroom. The students interact more, ask interesting questions and get the shy ones to come forward! We have fabulous discussions and I get to hear them express their own thoughts and ideas as well as what they have learned!

William, I frequently use the white board as a screen to allow myself or students to draw or write on the current slide being presented.
The only problem I have with this technique is when I forget to raise the projector screen to access the white board!!
Brenda

I have also found this to be useful. Only problem is that the reflection from the whiteboard make it somewhat harder for some students to see the board.

That's an awesome engagement piece and can see how it can motivate our students into thinking beyond the box. Thank you for a great idea ^_^

I completely agree with you.I am teaching mathematics right now and by using power point w/ a whiteboard a lot of the students learn as well as enjoy coming to the board to work out the problems.

I have begun using a tool called Prezi in addition to Power Point, with this tool, I can be a lot more interactive with lectures, theres flow & movement in the presentation that captures the attention of the student, rather than the typical "death by Power Point" syndrome that is typically the case with presentations. I am converting most, if not all, of my presentations to take advantage of this very interesting program.

I agree. Using the powerpoint and white board allows my college math students to learn how to set up problems and enjoy the white board to wrtie the problems.

As an administrator at a Vocational school, I have observed this effective technique in action. A diagram is placed on the board and students take turns labeling the various parts of the diagram. This test knowledge, incorporates somatic learning, and provides a state change for the students as opposed to instructors reading from slides as a presentation.

Has powerpoint been phased out within the current classroom?

It seems my students yearn for more than slides and bullet points. Incorporating flash or other programs to have students interact with the data can keep them "awake" and even keep the instructor less fearful of them losing interest.

Any other tools/software that others are using?

Best,
Mark

Mark,

I do my best to incorporate videos into my slides and break up lectures with group activities in ore to keep the students engaged.

Theresa Schmitt

I agree, I've done this for years. Works great.

Sign In to comment