Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adopting blended-learning techniques

What are some ways in which adopting blended-learning techniques can aid you in delivering the curriculum?

Blending technology is like working smarter versus harder. It is so much easier to capture student interest and move forward when technolog is involved.

Definitely, incorporing blending techniques helps to deliver the information in a better way.

You can't match learning styles for 100% of your students. Blended learning offers additional delivery techniques, as well as keeping students engaged. I will never give up my lectures...it is face time that really counts, but I love having a BIG tool box with LOTS of tools!

Utilizing blended learning techniques allows the instructor to have the best of both worlds. It allows for online delivery of materials, online discussion and assignment delivery. This frees up time in the classroom for quality active learning activities. This is not to say that active learning does not place in the online environment.

Janet,

I completely agree. I find using discussion boards as part of a class keeps students engaged outside of the classroom. Please feel free to share the ways in which you incorporate technology into the learning environment.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Best,
Theresa Schmitt

Wayne,

You bring up a great point. Discussion boards and a class Twitter page are just two of the options available to promote active learning. Both offer opportunities to set up class discussions and collaborative learning groups in order to explore topics more thoroughly.

Theresa Schmitt

Scott,

Lots of tools are an instructor’s best asset! Leveraging the myriad of tech-based tools out there allow us to better reach the various learning styles, and with careful planning, keep the objectives of the course consistent across these modes delivery.

Best wishes for continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I found that you must engage students EVERY DAY. This is my 4th year teaching and the younger the student, the more we are required to engage them to keep them focused.

Students of all ages need engaged! Evening class students have short attention spans, and the more engaged you can get the evening student the better!

Peggy,

I agree! Night students are often at work all day and support families, so their time is precious. I am a huge proponent of hands-on activities and group projects in order to keep them engaged.

Theresa Schmitt

James,

Very true! I am sure most of us feel like performers on a stage each time we step in front of a classroom. As a rule of thumb, I take short breaks each hour and break up lectures with hands-on activities and group projects in order to keep the students focused and engaged.

Theresa Schmitt

when using blended techniques, you have the best of both the worlds! You can have students turn in papers by uploading them and you don't have to worry about many papers to shuffle around, not to mention those little ends of the paper from where it was ripped out of the notebook (personal pet peeve.. I HATE those!!)
Students get to interact with each other and the instructor without feeling like they are "put on the spot" or all eyes are turned to them..maybe they will be more willing to participate in discussions this way.
You can also encourage students to interact with each other. You will have some students who are not as computer savvy as others, but if they are allowed to buddy up with someone who is more knowledgable, then they are learning even more in your class.....
everyone wins!

When you utilize more than one technique, you engage more than one type of learner. Each of our students have different learning skills and ways that engage them more effectively. Some may be auditory learners, visual learners or tactile learners. By utilizing multiple modalities in the classroom, whether it be online forums, technology based games or simulations or even lectures, we engage all of our students and allow them to take away the knowledge we want them to gain.

Jason,

Yes, Jason, you make a fantastic point. the more varied our approaches are, the more success we will be in engaging our learners. Please share some blended learning techniques you have incorporated into your learning environment.

Theresa Schmitt

Wendy,

Your response brings a smile to my face- I also detest the remnants of ripped edges from a spiral bound notebook found in the bottom of my tote bag after collecting written assignments!

Increased participation is a tremendous benefit of a blended learning course utilizing a discussion board. How do you use the learning portal at your institution when creating a blended learning environment for your students?

Theresa Schmitt

the portal has all the assignments on it and also for question and answer forums kind of like this one as part of an assignment/grade. Participation is a MUST and the grade depends on the amount of participation.

it can help those students who are not of this tecnical age, dicover the different methods/tools aqvailable to them.

It allows the instructor to keep the information current and interesting. It is very difficult to keep students engaged for a long period of time therefore utilizing all forms of media and different platforms is essential.

Generally in a class you have a variety of students who prefer certain deliveries from the instructor, be it visual, lecturing, hands-on, etc., and by incorporating different learning tools and media packages, the students will more likely than not stay focused during the entire presentation or delivery than just a lecture or quiz. A variety of deiferent tools and learning or sharing as in docs or slide-share will keep the students more engaged.

Sign In to comment