Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Given that the program I teach is accelerated, I spend only six hours a week face-to-face with the students. The extant literature continues to state how blended methods are more effective compared to just traditional or online methods alone. Therefore, I would love to schedule synchronous online sessions to complement the classroom lectures. Additionally, even though my school has purchased an online tutorial application to help our students prepare for their state licensing exams, if we purchased/leased an LMS, then I feel confident that I could create a healthy mix of classroom and online assignments to improve outcomes.

As a curriculum transformation process instructor (ctp) at my auto/diesel institute,I have had the pleasure of helping develop new blended learning curriculum for our campuses throughout the U.S. We use a blend of instructor lead class time and have that supported with on-line work. This is what our industry uses for training and we are using this as well to provide our students with learning and getting them acclimated with what they will be seeing/doing in their real world work environment.

I feel everyone learns differently these are tool that can be used to enhance ones that can be used to enhance ones understanding by demonstration, having the ability to go back and repeat it if they are unclear on it, allow messaging to ask question when the question arises in them and getting feedback when the student feels it may be too "dumb" a question to ask in class.

I believe that with todays students, the more techniques we as instructors employ, the greater chance we have at capturing the interest and attention of the learner, the more successful that student can become.

I have found that having access to many teaching resources is very realistic in a career oriented college. During externships, students encounter many types of electronics and programs and to have students exposed to the idea of being open to different tools for learning perhaps conditions students to be less afraid of new technologies in the work place.

Blended learning is our best option to optimize student comprehension in a modern classroom. Given the cultural diversity and divegent bacground of our "millenial" students and our traditional learners a "multi-media" approach to delivery is the best way to promote maximum student engagement. Capturing thier attention is the easy part. Keeping it requires all the resouces you can muster.

I teach a night course from 5-10 pm, and one of the things I struggle with is keeping attention of the students. I know that utilizing a blended-learning technique would increase their interest in the topic. I am always seeking ways to keep their attention, so that they might better utilize the material.

Technology must be brought into every lecture, otherwise womp,womp, womp is the outcome. By utilizing video's and powerpoints/slide share etc. the text from the text book comes alive. Even better if homework includes blackboard discussions. The outgoing student will always dominate the classroom but the sideliner will have a chance to shine during out of class discussion. It can also increase retention, with the students ability to access class materials and discussions.

There are a lot of things that students can learn from online material. Now that our students are doing that we can focus on more important things like the concepts that they struggle with. When added to some hands on activities it really brings the points home.

By incorporating technology in the classroom to accompany lectures and practical hands on skills enables us as instructors to keep the attention of this new generation of students who are so technology savvy and who cannot otherwise learn by the old method of strict lecturing. I try to plan and pace my class so that I do not spend long periods of time teaching in the same manner so that the students do not get bored and lose interest. By doing lecture for 15-20 minutes, then making the students get out of their seats and perform hands on practical skills and then show power points or videos I can keep the attention of students better than if I use only one method for the entire class, because the method used to engage them is changing every 15-20 minutes.

I couldn't agree more. Our school is in the process of adopting a blended learning curriculum and my fear is that other CEE courses have stressed the importance of catering to different learning styles. Using web based curriculum limits you to a small pool of learning styles. Classroom time is the only way to cater to these students learning styles.

Brian,

I agree, not all students are wired to succeed in an online environment. I feel it is important not to limit options to online classes only- especially general education offerings, which is a growing trend in proprietary education. Classes such as Algebra or English Comp is often quite difficult for students; having that face to face experience does not come close to the mostly asyncronous environment found in online offerings, where students often feel lost.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

In my experience some students respond more aurally others more visually. A dynamic audio/video presentation whether a slide show, animation or embedded video program which invites comments provides a blanket approach to cover all types of learners.

The more you have to work with the more likely you are to get the point across to most students.

That is a great idea; flipped classrooms. I am a diesel engine instructor and as much as I like the idea, getting students to "do their part" is something that most likely will not happen. At least not until our curriculum changes. But thank you for mentioning this!!

I understand and empasize with you. Getting some students to do homework is a bear. I guess it's a habit they picked up in high school.

As opposed to strictly a basic verbal presentation the use of technology to provide interactive learning increases that ability for the student to internalized the instruction being given. It builds on the verbal instruction with both auditory and tactile learning

Before delivering a lecture, I try to have learning aids lined up that focus on multiple student learning styles. Video for the visual learner. Power Point for the reader. My lecture for the listener. And props for the hands-on learner. The nice part about incorporating all of this is that it helps the students recognize what resources they have available to them and in other cases I find out about new resources available to me too. Win - Win.

It is difficult to match every learning type but i feel if you change up your methods through out the class and ask importnat questions you can more easily gauge the understanding of your students.

Blended learning techniques can help my students out by making information more accessible. By using media presentations, I can post them to the portal then the students can go back and look at them to study with on their own time.

Social media can make the students more accessible to me. Students who are generally "not present" while in class, may be more present on social media and possibly participate in blog entries and responses.

Sign In to comment