Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology

Using technology and the Internet will not only motivate students but instructors as well. Teachers must be willing to learn new and exciting methods to reach students.

David,

I agree with your post wholeheartedly. I believe utilizing various forms of technology engages students and provide an opportunity to explore subjects in great depth. Examples of this include simulators that mimic various medical procedures or mechanical processes, as well as live video chats on Skype or WebEx that bring industry professionals into the learning environment.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Do you recommend using Power Point presentations or other technological tools?

Peggy,

Each lecture I conduct has an associated PowerPoint with graphics, video examples, and/or links to interviews with subject matter experts available online. For collaborative projects I often use applications such as Google Docs for easy at-home file sharing, editing and storage. Skype is a fantastic tool as well for bringing guest lecturers into the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I agree with you David. Besides the students moving on to new technology and the Internet; we as instructors also must move on. This will definitely help us to reach the students and also will make it more exciting us as well.

Hello,

I agree with you. The internet can be very resourceful when used appropriately.

I do use power point presenttions as well as other multi media to engage students regularly..

I have had good success with it.

JR

Unfortunately, power point just puts my students to sleep. I try to incorporate more and more assignments that require small groups of students to gather information from multiple web sites. I feel they are more engaged in the learning process.

I agree that instructors must be willing to learn new and exciting methods to reach their students. As a baby boomer with a flip phone and a facebook account that I have not checked since 2010, I struggle to understand the social media attraction and interaction. I stopped viewing my facebook account because I am not interested in posting pictures of my life or likes so that others could make a comment or state that they like or dislike it. I would like to incorporate new technologies into my class room and I am willing to explore options that will work for me. I am taking this course to get a better understanding of students' obsession with social media so that I can find a meaningful way to incorporate this technology into my classroom.

Kathy,

I hear this fairly often, and hopefully you found a resource or two while completing this course that works for you; the most important thing is to feel comfortable with the technology you incorporate in your repertoire. Youtube videos and perhaps an RSS news feed that sends updated news articles related to your field of study would be best at first.

Theresa Schmitt

Every time I 'drop off' Facebook I'm pulled back by my daughter in law posting pictures of my grandson on Facebook.

Albert,

Viewing and sharing photos with family is definitely the greatest reward Facebook has to offer me as well! That is why I promote the usage of the platform, because it is something millions of users turn to, and often daily. There are strict guidelines on many campuses, so if you are considering creating a class page to post interesting articles and picture or promote group discussion, I suggest running it by the appropriate administrators.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom,

Theresa Schmitt

I agree that using technology and the internet is crucial for both students and instructors. I teach in a clinical setting and the use of computers and the internet are still used quite often. In our dental clinic the students rely on the computer for all of the patient scheduling and patient charts and information. They also will pull put their phones and google a subject before they will look for a text to obtain instant answers. It is the way students are used to learning and instructors must be able to understand and do the same.
Lori

Lori,

I am fascinated by the leaps the medical industry has progressed in terms of utilizing technology for patient record keeping and the databases now available when seeking the best treatment for a patient. In today's society, many turn to the internet first to seek answers before seeking medical treatment, so I can imagine when a patient comes to the office they are better informed and have educated questions, though in some ways I see this as a double-edged sword.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

I agree with this discussion as when I first started to instruct, the media was VHS tapes, Flip charts, overheads, and 35mm slides. As an instructor I want to keep my students attention,reduce my work load, and reduce other costs. Before retiring from the State, I was the supervisor/instructor of a training unit. I took the cumbersome typed manuals and converted them to digital media with interactive components. I know use digital magazine technology to make my training manuals come to “life” for the student, with interactivity that I could never produce before. My students walk away from my courses with all their media on a flash drive instead of a big thick training manual that was not interactive.

Jackie,
I'm one of those baby boomers who used those archaic media tools, too. Now I want to be able to do what you do: present what my students need to know (including the tools for evaluating content and for applying what they learn)in a way succinct enough for them to actually use it.

That's a big order with today's students. They want immediate resources without any heavy lifting on their part. I see it even in my own family. My 27-year-old daughter thinks nothing of calling me three or four times in an hour. On the other hand, I want only "significant" communication, rather than "easy" communication.

How can we give our students the brevity and speed they want, without failing to provide the context and application skills they require to use the info in a meaningful way?

David, I'm willing to learn, but not willing to waste vast amounts time struggling with frustrating new technologies.

If I identify a technology that I think will expand the resources available to my students, engage them in a meaningful way, enrich the learning experience, and give my students tools for use in the workplace, I'd like to know there is a resource person to whom I can turn when I get bogged down.

Unfortunately, in today's lean-and-mean work environment, it is getting harder and harder to find support personnel.

Can anyone suggest how to deal with that? (Context: I teach composition, and have to spend a great deal of time responding to student writing. That doesn't leave a lot of free time to explore technology.)

Not only does the use of these new technologies keep students engaged and motivated but it keeps us as instructors relevant and may even encourage a mutual respect within the classroom.

Sign In to comment