Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Styles

What are some examples of classroom activities that are presented to adult learner through the learning styles of audio, visual or hands on? I have included these types of techniques which has increased the student interaction within class such as oral powerpoint presentations. In addition, I have given positive feedback and encouragement to the students during their presentations; which is great motivation for them.

I fine that a large part of the student population at my campus will call themselves "hands on" learners initially, but when faced with a problem that requires a hands on approach to solving it, are reluctant to show what they have learned. I think that most who would say that hands on is their best (or only) learning style have yet to realize their need to tap into their yet undiscovered styles of learning to maximize their learning experiences.

Like Tracey stated above, I also find that most students learn best by physically touching and examining a training aid, or the actual item that is being discussed.

I start by verbally discussing a subject, presenting a PowerPoint, and showing the item if practical in the classroom. Then the items are passed around the classroom or distributed to groups, where the students can interact with each other and the item, while openly discussing the item.

I will then ask a series of questions to insure the students have a good comprehension of the subject matter.

The hands on portion, by far I believe, is the part that helps them comprehend, and retain knowledge the best.

I agree with Herbert ,having the students physically touch the training aids certainly helps the students learn. Given an opportunity to schedule a lab after the lecture but before the test is also helpful. Another thing that works for some students, have them write down highlights and notes on a separate piece of paper over and over. This seems to help them remember better than just reading it from their course book.

Audio: Relevant documentaries- such as the 7 Decisions by Andy Andrews for a Small Business Management class

Visual: Group Participation in the game of Jeopardy

Hands-On: Case Discussions in a group setting

David,
Great activities. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

I have students prepare and present visual and hands on activities to the class as part of their grade. It provides a great learning environment.

Sign In to comment