Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning Environment

How would you define an active learning environment? How can you create such an environment in your instructional setting?

I deal with construction and pattern making classes. It requires the students to work on their projects in class. I will demonstrate then they will do the work for themselves.
With the assignments I give, I will have them create a pattern but at the same time I will have them explain how the pattern will be put together. By having the student create their own design and explain how it will go together they have a better understanding of how the pattern works or not works.

rebecca,
Doing and applying are two different things. Sounds like you are really taking the application of a concept and instituting it in your class. Good job.
Philip Campbell

in clinicals...the students share their experiences from their day and they are able to compare and share their ideas on how to handle different situations..should they need to

I teach introductory Anatomy and Physiology to medical billing and coding students and to medical assistant students. I try to include a case study at the end of every body system covered and assign them to small groups to work on it. They read the case history and then determine a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan. This is one way that I create an active learning environment in what is traditionally a lecture course.

A massage technique is demonstrated and then the students practice the technique. They get feedback from me as the instructor in the mechanics of the work, but they also get immediate feedback from the recipient of the massage technique in how it feels. Exams are practical in nature in that the student must demonstrate the various techniques they have learned.

Dianne,
Applying the content is important and making sure the message relayed is equally important. Getting that feedback is what helps us learn.
Philip Campbell

I have, as some of my colleagues have already stated, used case studies at the end of a very short disucssion period in which small groups have to determine what they would do next. The content in the case study requires them to utilize what was included in the lecture/discussion to determine what further assessments or interventions are needed.

Antoher thing that I have done is to have group presentations - not formal (although I do that too) - but spur of the moment as we're talking about something I'll break them into groups of 3 or 4 and give them some piece of what we are discussing and they then have to explain to the rest of the class how the topic relates to their assignment. For instance, we talk about oxygenation and the importance of that. I then have the students break into groups and one group is asked to determine how that relates to asthma while another has to relate that to anemia and another to heart disease. Then we come together after their presentation to tie all of those together, back to oxygenation.

I am a clinical nursing instructor.
Idiscuss the skills with the students, then demonstrate the skills, they practice in pre-conference, then when we have a specific nursing order to perform the student feels confident and performs the skill on the patient.
We then discuss the results and how the student performed and felt in post conference.
Mariann Urbancsik BSRN

Mariann,
Discussion after it happens is important. It is fresh in their minds as well.
Philip Campbell

An active learning environment can be defined as a classroom where students are involved in hands-on practical experience. I cultivate such environment through various learning activities in my graphic design classes.
In each assignment, I provide a digital presentation of the project objective and procedures, followed by my demonstration of the program, tools, and various design options including samples.
I give students the opportunity to explore different creative ideas from their personal experience, and organize group discussions as they brainstorm together developing design briefs before working on projects.
I also set-up digital presentation and critique - when students review their projects with the class as they talk about their individual creative ideas with the class participation.

I teach in a technical school and all of our curiculum is centered around active learning.

I teach at a Culinary School so much of my student's learning is in an active enviroment. Usually at the beginning of class I will demo what the project for the day is, before the student goes out to do it themseleves. I find a very important part is relating what techniques they have learned in previous classes to what they are doing in my class. It helps the student to reinforce what they are currently doing to what they have learned in past classes. It helps the student to feel more comfortable with what they just learned and how it relates to their culinary education as a whole. We end the day by discussing what was learned and how we can improve those skills.

I teach accounting, finance and business math. In all three subjects you can lecture the theory, show them the relevant examples (problems or accounting entries), and then, have them do examples in class. They hear it, they see it, then they do it. I really like to do the practice in class in groups. The groups setting leads to the "helping each other" actions before they call on me (the teacher). I think they learn a lot from each other. Then, they leave class and practice on homework. I love active learning environments and spend a lot of time working up my in-class demonstrations & student activities. The more the students do the better. I want to lead them and facilitate their learning, not bore them.

I teach at a technical schools as well. Hands on plays an important piece in the curriculum. I have also started implementing some active learning activites in the lecture portion as well. These include critical thinking exercises and actvities that relate to the course objectives. So far they have been well received. It is interestin to note however many students would prefer the instructor led lecture and remain passively in there seats.

Amy,
Hands on helps to make experiences real for students.
Philip Campbell

I teach in a technical school and after getting familiar with the task at hand the student is all hands on.this is active to a point of if they do it wrong a expensive piece of machinery is broken haveing the student do the job as many times as time allows is real important in this setting and knowing how to do it right is also key.

To me an active learning environment is about discovery. Students need to be able to research and learn at their own pace. I teach game scripting mostly and I always tell people that you must be in charge of your own learning. Most of the time there is no right answer, Students have to go out and find what works best for them. Today you have to be an active learner because the world changes so quickly. The way I promote this is by giving students where to find the answer rather than actually giving the answer. My hope is to turn them into lifelong learners.

I agree with Mr. Stellato. I would rather a student take 2 hours to complete a 1 hour task and do it right the first time! Speed will come in time!

Jay,
And as they do those tasks over and over their efficiency will become better.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment