Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Needs of Adult Learners

What are some ways you can determine instructional needs of your adult learners?

I like to watch my students during power point presentations and demonsrations of the tasks they are going to perform.Since I teach in a technical school it is easy for me to recognize my students individual learning styles.

This is a great class warm up exercise.

Either by self declaration or exercise created with a simple topic/concept as focus.

It is so important to consider with adult learners. You will also increase your instructional skills if you are aware of different learning styles of students.

It' important to remember that new concepts and knowledge can be difficult for the adult learner. As instructor or facilitator of adult learners, it is helpful to relate new concepts to experience and previous learning in order to grasp new learning. DP

I believe that understanding the needs of adult learners is one of the key point in regards to the delivery of the subject taught. We need to ensure that the information that will be delivered will be captured, understood and retained. One of the approaches I would suggest is to create a brief survey that students need to complete before or at the beginning of the class that would focus on identify the main learning habits. This information can be quite helpful in defining which best delivery method could be applied.

one of the problems with adult learners is, they
have been at their old job so long that they are kind of stuck on autopilot, and not open to new
ideas.
it's amazing what a little extra time spent, one on one will do

by observing student's progress periodically and identifying student's past experience according to the class subject.

victor,
Previous experience helps to make learning more concrete to the students. Keep using references in your teachings to drive the points home.
Philip Campbell

some adult learners learn by seeing or odoral,some learn by visual,some kearn by doing or touching.in my teaching years take each person at his or here level

While there are several ways, what has worked best and effectively for me is employing a variety of strategies in the classroom through the assigment of course projects, case studies and an interactive classroom environment that allows students to draw from personal experiences. The needs for each adult student will be different, so by employing different approaches the instructor will be able to access which strategy augments the greatest "return" per student.

Shawna,
Constantly re-evaluating lessons and improving upon them will make the lessons you prepare that much better. As you said looking at different strategies is one of those ways to improve.
Philip Campbell

A combination of observation, "testing" and asking them. In a culinary program it is usually quickly apparent who needs more technical skill, time management, academic support, etc.

Having a survey makes sense, this can cut out the time needed to get the students background and learning ability.
I would use one to three activities that will engage the student they could involve interactions with other students as well.A short written assignment,small group in class project,verbal responses to a predetermined question.You would need to observe them in the group settings and take notes.
After the activities are finished you could categorize the student according to the type of learner they may be and personality traits.

Teaching at a technical trade school, i'll give them a quick hands on activitey just so i can observe their skills. I give each student a set of directions to follow, but also verbally go over the instructions. This allows me to see who was paying attention to the verbal instructions, and who relies on the written instructions.

As basic as it seems, I have found, as an adult learner and teaching adult learners, that student engagement is extinguished when adult learners are not treated like adults.

Jon-Paul,
I love this point, and it is very true. We need to keep this in mind as we progress through our day.
Philip Campbell

I observe them, provide surveys and ask them

I typically ask students to complete a pre assessment the first week of class and we also do a fun exercise to determine learning styles. I take this information into consideration when forming groups for class projects.

I like to closely observe my students in the first week of class. For example I'll show a PP for the visual learner and then ask the class how many found it usier to follow the pp. Or I will read instructions out loud to see how many students need the instructions repeated and watch for the student that can repeat the instructions without any problems. For the tactile learner I assign an activity where they have to use a pen on 1 area of the assignment and then they must switch to a pencil for another part of the assignment. I also keep in mind that these are adult students with learning styles that are well developed habits.

Hi
Im new to this course and this is my first response in your forum.
I find adult learners fascinating because they have "real life" experiences, which not only make the learning experience an adventure for all of us, but also because these experiences are "who" they are. So, when I first begin a class, I like to "talk to them" and find out "who" they are. I also give them an opportunity to find out "who" I am too. This interaction is important since it is the first step in determining the instructional needs---I use it as a "needs assessment". This assessment is simple--visual-auditory-tactile. It also helps me "remember" each person as an individual and therefore focus on how I will communicate with each of them.

Sign In to comment