Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using technology

I use a lot of power points in class lecture but I use them simply to propmt what I want to say rather than reading to my students. I also add a lot of pictures for visual learners.

Elizabeth,

PowerPoint is a wonderful tool for learning in both a student and teacher-directed situation. It can add a new level to learning allowing teachers to explain concepts, while accommodating all learning styles as long as it is not the only resource used during class.

Antoine Lewis

Hello Elizabeth. Here are my thoughts on the use of powerpoint or any other type of presentations in delivering an effective lecture. Today’s students have grown up with and become accustomed to the visual stimulation of various marketing tools such as TV, Internet, and video games; and as such they expect technology to be used effectively as part of their learning experience. As a result, we, the instructors, are continuously challenged to hold the attention of our students from the high-tech generation. Through the considerate use of computer presentation programs, we can create professional-looking presentations to enhance student learning and achieve course outcomes. However, majority of students would agree that PowerPoint has a positive effect on lectures, especially in helping them to take notes and to study for exams. They preferred PowerPoint lectures to traditional lectures using a black- or white-board. Many students, at least in my experience, also perceive instructors who deliver PowerPoint as being more organized and effective. Nonetheless, I don’t think students believe that making PowerPoint slides available before class is a strong motivator or deterrent in attending class.

Shayan,

PowerPoint is a good tool and should be used moderately. It can be a tool for taking notes as you mentioned and lectures. Depending on the students in the class providing videos related to the topic that led to group discussion and presentation benefits various learning styles while using technology.

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment