Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am technology phobic during class

I am uncomfortable using technology in front of class and always ask for assistance getting started. Should I have a cheat sheet for all the different technology devices we have?

Felicia,

You are not the first to be nervous about using technology in the classroom. My advice would be to reach out to your peers and ask to sit in on a class or ask them to sit in on a class you have as you make step to use certain technologies. The easiest to start with is using PowerPoint and showing videos related to the subject matter you are teaching. Technology makes me nervous also but I spend my down time learning it and becoming comfortable with it and use it the classroom if deemed beneficial.

Antoine Lewis

Hi Felicia,

A cheat sheet is a good idea, but I also think making the time to practice the tasks over and over will be beneficial. I feel very comfortable using technology in the classroom, but if I have not used something for a long time or simply do not practice it regularly, I forget as well. To prepare, I do a couple run-throughs ahead of time so that when the students are in the room, my presentation is more fluid. Good luck!

Lucille,

Practice and repetitions does help when it involves technology. Showing up for class early and doing a walk-through helps. Also find ways to using that technology daily or weekly so it can become comfortable. We have very good teachers who have to adapt to the changes in technology just like some of our students.

Antoine Lewis

Yes, I agree that doing things repetitively will help you gain knowledge in the technology that you are using since technology is always changing and you want to appear comfortable in the classroom and not appearing loss.

Nazi,

Many students embrace helping faculty as they know we are knowledgeable in the subject matter but it may take us a few time to adapt to new technology if we do not have proper prep time.

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment