Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Y and manuals

The Gen Y students appear that they do not want to use any manuals. Jumping into a project then wanting to rely on the instructor to walk them through is ok 1 time, but they have to learn where to get the information when no instructor is at their place of employment. Others at work will tire of doing thier work for them.

I have also noticed that Gen Yers do not want to read their textbooks. When they have a reference book available to them, they prefer to pull out the phone and surf the internet for the information, which is often abbreviated or incomplete. The complete information is in the book sitting right in front of them or still in the plastic wrap in their backpacks.

These students are so much more self instructed I feel. They think they can "just do it" more than Gen X

Our students are the same way, in that they do not want to read the textbook and they constantly ask us to verbally and instantly give them all the answers to their questions,instead of researching the information that is already provided in their textbook.

When the students use the internet to answer their own questions, I often have to remind the students that they need to check reliable research sites to answer many of their questions, instead of using the unrelaiable sights, such as Wikipedia.

Jacki,
which is a blessing & a curse. There is more willingness to try it, but there needs to be a dose of humility & willingness to acknowledge when they don't "get it."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I seen to have the same problem with my students. Besides not reading the book, they want me to give them a handout for every assignment or lecture. My reply is that their "Boss" in the workplace will never give them a handout and that they need to ask questions and verify project items during a verbal interaction. This is a skill that most Gen Y students struggle with. Because of this, I give my assignments verbally to the class with a Q&A period for them to clarify expectations - just like it happens in a business meeting.

I agree most Gen Y student do not want you to hold there hand all day to do a lab task. Gen Y learners think and preform quicker than we can give them the information

Sign In to comment