Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Everything posted on this subject so far is true. Sometimes I think our best hope is just deal with it since it won't go away. Lots of explanations about the behavior of these Gen Y people have been kicked about, but there are no real answers. As for solutions, one size does not fit all. Students I have spoke with honestly don't understand the problem...." if I find the answer why does it matter where I got it..?" One could argue ethics, but is that the answer? To be trusted in the workplace one must know right from wrong, acceptable and unacceptable. And do I see these definitions changing in front of me?

Changing the thought pattern of an entire generation is not easy. Maybe not possible. So do we just try to do the best we can with some new tools and hope for the best? Right now I know several industries that are pretty good at weeding out folks who don't fit, but some day...well, do you suppose their way of thinking will become the norm? "How I did it or where I got the info isn't as important as the fact that I did get it..."

I use a power point presentation in front of class as a final. This way they can not cut & past. Second we discuss the topic post presentation. It takes a while to get it done, and I have the luck of having small classes (20 to 15)

Plagiarism, is one of a number of dangers that are associated with the use of technology. Specific guidelines need to be established reference the use of technolog,for example, the use of cell phones. You certainly don't want the students text messaging each other the answers during an assessment or "googling" the answers to the test. A common sense approch to technology should help avoid these pitfalls.

From a Career Services perspective, plagiarism is showing up in our world too. I've had student turn in resumes for review and approval where it's obvious to me they have copied the job responsibilities straight off a job posting from the Internet. I have no problem calling attention to it and then we work together to craft a resume that actually reflects their experience. I really do believe that most students just don't know how to go about starting a resume or talking about themselves. And since resume have such a specific format to follow, similar to an APA format paper for instance, cheating by copying from the Internet is easier and quicker.

Linda,
excellent point made here, especially in regard to the knowing how to do these things. Too often we fall into the trap that since so much information is out there, these students automatically know how to do these things.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I teach my students myself, proper quotation, paraphrase and summary techniques, how and when to cite their sources, what plagiarism is and make it very clear that I will be checking for it--it's cut way down on the amount of cases I've seen over the years in my English classes. I don't rely on any prior knowledge, so there's no excuses.

Kathleen,
this is great as it gives a very thorough understanding to the students of what you are expecting & how they can meet those expectations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment