Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment by contract

This process, assessment by contract will drive the desire to be inclusive in the training for the grade and general knowledge/practical application. Tools of this nature create a competitive envirionment. Competative learning... what a great idea.

Robert,
I too liked this idea & am looking for ways to incorporate.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I am concerned about the effect this has on the fairness of grading. This should all be in the syllabus which is the contract from day 1. Developing a new deal following an exam or midterm is a bit of a disturbing idea to me.

Mark,
I think this is something that you, as the instructor, & the class have to be comfortable doing. It would need to be handled with care, and I think the spirit of this activity is to build that connection with the students that could be done earlier in the course.

Dr. Ryan Meers

A competative learning style can only bolster multiple students learning strengths and help build upon their weaknesses.

The activity of the performance contract is not really new.
Using ways to get students involved and or better yet, taking ownership of their work, and realizing this has a great effect on the outcome of their learning experience.....

This principle is why we as educators are all seekers in the knowledge of better reaching/teaching.

I always present my syllabus as a contract. I give clear expectations and ask them to sign the contract indicating that that they will be invested in the learning process.

Allison,
this is a great strategy & hopefully engages them even more.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I always give a "getting to know you hand out" and the syllabus on the first day. I am now going to make the lat page of the syllabus a contract.

Keri,

I think this is a great idea & I like the "getting to know you" idea as well.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree with most contracts in the educational field. The assessments are good by contract and very effective; however, sometimes when including the students assessment of himself there should be, down the line, perhaps another assessment contract created to see any significant changes.

bobbe,
I think that's a great suggestion; this allows the student as well as instructors to note the progress made (hopefully) & be able to point to specific reasons why or why not.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The school I teach at handles the the contract process this way, as well. However, when the students are asked every 10 weeks to re-evaluate their goals for learning and to outline a plan of action, honestly, I notice that some students don't seem truly invested in this "contract" process, filling out the forms as briefly as possible to "fulfill" the exercise required.

I believe that meeting with the students to go over the contract they've filled out and verbally discuss the goals and action plan, point by point, is a way to get more articulation from them about what areas they need to reinforce and target, and that connection verbally is a more human way of interacting, adding to the effectiveness of the contract, ultimately.

Sign In to comment