Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Giving out your cell # YES!

As for me this has worked out just fine they are only allowed to text me. This helps a lot when they are not going to come in for class or going to be late, as I do not have to call them myself it is a big time saver.

Mary,
I have found success with this as well & the reality is that today's students are not very likely to call you as texting is definitely their preferred method of communication.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Alot of people tell me not to give it out to the students, but I feel that is very helpful to them.
They can text or call me during after hours were I am able to assist them with maybe homework that they do not understand or even to let me know that they will not be in class or if they are running late. The best is when they thank me for answering their calls or texts.

I do not give my cell phone but I do give out my work email that they can contact me on.

I set up a dummy account through Google Voice now I give out my number to any student and my cell will ring or it will go to voice mail. The point is I don’t mind giving out my number but if you try to locate any information on the number it will direct you back to my corporate information. Which is public information anyway.

Jeff,
this is an excellent way to maintain that availability but also your privacy.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I've found this to be extremely helpful as well

i give my cell number to students. BUT as i do i establish clear boundaries as what is appropriate and what is not. Yes you need to contact me if you are going to miss class for any reason. You may contact me if you have questions about projects or assignments. Do not contact me to ask what you made on a test. I have had good use of giving out my number as long as guidelines are in place

Lance,
I think you have to be sure to provide those guidelines & parameters as you have indicated & I agree that it can be helpful to provide my cell number.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also give out my cell phone number. I have not had any problems with inappropriate use. I like that students can notify me of their absences and ask questions via text.

Leila,
this has been my experience as well, although I definitely understand the concern of others in this area.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have noticed that most of my Gen Yers are becoming more inconsistent with checking and responding to emails. However, sending a quick text messages gets a much faster response. If you choose to give your personal cell number, it is very important to discuss the boundaries of time and professionalism with all students to ensure all parties are on the same page.

Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't, get calls on a sat or late at night, so tell my students to email me. Get back to them when I can, keep it professional as possible.

I agree with you. We are required to contact any student who is absent or late and they know this. They will often text me beforehand even if they are just going to be a few minutes late. I can arrange for homework assignments to be picked up or dropped off. I don't seem to have had any issues yet with privacy or infringement of my personal time. They are also very appreciative for the access and ability to have questions answered so they can return their focus to the task at hand, although it really doesn't happen that often.

I agree I do not give out my cell phone, but I give out my direct work line and email they can contact me.

Kim,
my experience has been similar to yours & have found only convenience, for myself & the students, in allowing them to text me.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment