Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

unplugging for a bit

I think most GEN Y people need to unplug for a bit. If student's can't go 3 or 4 hours without checking their phones, then they really have a problem. Are they really that afraid of being "by themselves" or "alone?" I think there's some merit to being able to unplug and truly focus on a task at hand.

Aagreed..the network can become all consuming. The inter-dependence can become a crutch. Problems arise when the individual can not face challenges on their own. Can your network help you on exams?

Unplugging is a great idea in theory. Most of us can use the down-time to refresh and refocus. However many feel lost or isolated when they are unplugged even for a few hours. It can actually cause anxiety and stress. They might really have a problem if they can't. I don't even pay attention to this in class. If someone wants to tune out and miss the discussion, it is their loss.

I totally agree. I try to incorporate group activities to help them continue to feel connected.

Linda,
yes & the group activities can also really help them develop in the "soft skills" that are so needed in today's work environment.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

With the students I have had in the past, it has been very trying to balance the usage of multi-media during class time.. I have spoken with other instructors and they deny the phone even being out during class. I am going to watch my time a better, usually the students got antsy because of my lack of time management. The instructor who told me that she does not allow their phones out because the students can wait for 45 minutes...

I completely agree with you. I have to constantly remind my students to turn off there phones during class because its my time not intranet time.

Tracy,
this is definitely an on-going challenge & one that we must revisit often.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe "unplugging" for an assigned period of time is crucial.
Students now must COMMUNICATE face to face and interact with their peers. Gone are the various personnas of social media and their true personality emerges.

Albert D'Addario

Albert,
I agree that having these periodic times of unplugging is very valuable & even declaring "tech-free" days is a great way to engage our students in other formats.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I completely agree. I am a young mother and I do not ever want my kids to think that my smart phone is more important than they are. I try not to engage in social media until they go to bed.

Rebecca,
this is an excellent model & example you can set & even share this practice with your student.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment