Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thoughts from an Old School person

Is social media changing the human contact that people need to be able to interact? No longer do you send a card or call someone on a special occasion, no just send an e-mail or post something. Yes it's much easier especially if you are out of touch with the needs to call, send a card or stop by and say Hi. There are places that are so remote you can't get to a store to buy a card or stop by and wish them whatever.
I think we are losing the personnal contact needed in some cases to stay connected.
Just a thought!!!
And don't get me started about personnal security.

You know, Lauren, You're right. My own children don't even send me a Mother's Day or birthday card...they'll call or "text" the words Happy Birthday!!!!

I agree with you, you are correct but It's what happens with everything, times change, times evolve technology evolves. Everything has to change, at one time we used horses then we used gas guzzling cars now we are trying to go hybrid. I'm not trying to patronize you at all, I remember the days when I use to receive letters in the mail from friends and family and now I receive emails. And on a quick note, personal security has always been at risk and will always be. You could be disconnected from the world and it would be that much easier for someone to become you.

Is social media changing our social interaction; in short yes... and not really for the best. I see a whole new generation being raised with a lack of social or personnal contact. Children being ignored by parents on phones or laptops. dialoge between people condensed down to a few letters. wether we admit it or not we all desire some personal contact. Recieving a text "Good Job" or a personal contact of a job well done with a hand shake are miles apart.
Technology was meant to bring us together, the sharing of ideas and media. And it has for some of us... for others they are trapped in front of a screen either at their desk or staring at their phone ignoring the person right in front of them.
Yes, technology is great but, sometimes I long for the simpler days.

vinny,
this is a good point & one I try to emphasize in my classes. Technology is great, but don't let it replace the human side.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Vinny, I agree with your observation 100%. Technology is being stressed and interpersonal communication/the "human side" is being ignored. I believe, this is contributing to many of the problems we face today as individuals and as a society. Technology is great, but it is a tool or supplement to and cannot replace interpersonal skills. Students need to be taught that technology and "human side"/interpersonal communication are equally important for a success life.

Janet,
yes, nothing can replace the face to face interaction.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I understand where you are coming from and I thought my mother would feel the same until we got her a smart phone and a tablet. She rather text than call. If I call she do not pick up the phone. However if I text she response quickly. She uses her tablet to stay connected with family and friends on Facebook. I made sure all the security settings are set up. However, since her children and grandchildren are always busy she can still connect via Facebook. If she wants us to hear her voice she sends a voice message through the text option. This I did not know exist until she did it. She also use text to broadcast to the family of birthdays and anniversaries. Asking everyone to call or text that person.

I agree 100%. I see a lot of the younger students are socially awkward. They will sit next to each other and text to each other, but can't carry on a conversation.

Edward,
yes & part of our job is helping them learn interpersonal communication skills as well as their technical knowledge.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes when I read that the Gen Y was so socially connected I think of interacting in person with people. Time and time again I see young people sitting together and texting either them or others and they are not even talking. But I am a face to face time of person.

Jennifer,
and while there are many advantages & benefits to the tech communication, we should also be helping our students to develop their face to face communication skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Edward It bothers me when my grandkids visit from out of state they text the whole time they are here and are upset if someone talks while they are texting

I can see the effects of technology in peoples life and agree that there has to be balance. For example, I think that technology is great and can be used in the classroom, but also i have had requests from the education board for there to be more group activity for a decrease in anti-social behavior. They want the students to be able to effectively communicate with the older generation and each other to accomplish tasks at work. So what i have done is make them have a group project that the other groups will be grading them on. With their own (monitored) grading criteria and preparation for a tech presentation, it seems to be working well.

Everett,
and we can even explore ways to incorporate technology & in person group work.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Face to face interaction is so important. At least 3 times during a 6 week class I have my students go through a mock interview and cooking bench test as part of their class work. It helps to get them prepared for a real life interview. I really stress eye contact.

James,
this is great as the eye contact/nonverbal are so important in the interviews & this will prepare them for those settings.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment