Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diversity

Good to see the discussion of diversity among parents (such as, a child being born to an unwed mother or a middle-aged woman who delayed having a child in favor of building a career).

I agree. I have childern in this group and so do my friends. I had my children early and many of my friends have children just beginning school.

I also agree. I have friends my age that have children that are grown and they are moving on to different things, but I had children later in life and my children are still in middle school. Funny having high school friends with children that are a generation apart.

I also think this is the challenge to the educator in the classroom, as how to not only identify with the different generations from the respect of the dates, but also the different influences of the home they were raised in.

This dynamic can be diverse at best in one class setting and for some educators hard to discern in as short time as we spend with them.

I am also glad to see this brought up, but I think the idea that Generations X and Y are the only ones to have this widely diverse nature is flawed; this country has always been diverse, but minority groups have been treated as invisible. It is a widely held and completely false belief that there were few minorities or children from single-parent homes during the 1940's through the 1960's, for example. Media did not acknowledge the existence of these people, certainly, and children from more privileged or majority backgrounds were allowed to believe that they were the "norm," and they have, in turn, written the history of the period to reflect those false beliefs. Most African-American women, for example, have always worked outside the home in this country, not having the same economic or social avenues to allow them to stay home as many white women did. Asian-American, Hispanic-American, and all non-Western European immigrant mothers have largely worked outside the home forever. I think it's important not to overlook these facts when making broad generalizations about the "generations."

As a sidebar note, knowing that diversity has become the norm, as Instructors we need to become more aware of different cultures.

I agree also. children from this generation benefit from such variety backgrounds from their parents, friends, even teachers.

One of the greatest challenges for the instructor in the classroom is to develop and present curriculum that is meaningful for all cultures.

Paula,
this is very true & is definitely a challenge that is increasing in importance for all of us.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I strongly agree that diversity should be emphasized in the classroom, and have found that the students are more than willing to take the lead, and share their unique experiences, cultures, norms, etc. I make sure that this is a part of each and every class that I teach, and have amazing results!

Laurie,
and this is such a help in career prep as they learn to appreciate the diverse views of others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Knowing a bit of history of a student really does help with the instructional path, method of instruction. Having a diverse group of students in 1 class, can be difficult for the instructor if he/she uses only 1 teaching style. You need to use all 4 teaching methods to really be successful when presenting information. Hands on, written word, visual and auditory methods are used by myself daily.These methods really work and it make me successful with my teaching.

I believe most instructors / facilitators have embraced diversity...I think Gen Y students are being superficially selective in its relevance.

Sign In to comment