Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Y Learners

So my job as an a Chef Instructor is to keep my students engaged so that they do not lose interest in the subject matter. I find that by teaching the old mortar and brick methods are not very effective. What I have tried and seems to work is to ask them to analyze the recipe without looking at any of the steps of preparation, and use technology via internet or you tube and have them work in small groups to come to a conclusion on how they would prepare this dish from start to finish. The final outcome is quite surprising at times.

glenn ,

this is an excellent example of how we can creatively use technology in the classroom & not allow it to take over or worry about the students taking advantage of the situation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Working with students going out on their externships we find like Chef Ochi that we have to "think outside of the box" with these students so they stay connected. We must continue to find ways / techiques that they can identify with so they stay engaged in school while also being out in the world. This means they're connection to the class and to school during this time tends to be 100% electronic, emails, texts, posts vs. older generations that actually want to talk to us/ their instructors on a daily basis.

Gina,
this is an excellent observation & point; how do we keep them connected so they stay around to finish their program.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Technology is an effective tool to use in many instances, but when it comes to the kitchen/lab environment, many students attention span is very short and because of this they lose interest and want to speed up the process and miss valuable steps and information in following the proper steps and procedure.In the kitchen/lab environment structure and following basic fundamental steps are the building blocks of our profession.
So use of technology in the lab can be effective if used in conjunction with the building blocks that are a main part of our business.

I agree with chef George that being in a kitchen environment, you can't really use technology. But, I think we can definitely apply technology and the internet for their written assignments. I think both methods can be applied to the same class and by doing so, we can appeal more to our student population.

This is one of the better learning classes that I have taken.It has educated me on the differences between the new generation of student learners and their abilities to communicate through technology with the demands of the working enviroment. I look forward to putting into practice all the great suggestions from peers and the class.
Thank you.

Kim,
this is a great observation, while not every tool is appropriate in every situation, finding the right place & time is key. And it helps the students learn appropriateness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Using the web sites and internet media is a great aid, However we have to be careful of copyright infringement also , but they really get it when its U tubed.

Greg,
this is an excellent point & it is beneficial for each instructor to know how these laws impact their particular institution & area.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment