Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Boomers as Teachers

I tend to find myself reverting back to Boomer Style lectures when I am teaching new or more complicated material. I know I need to get a better understanding before I am in front of students, but time often does not allow. Any suggestions for opening up the class for more universal learning?

Miriam,
I would seek out ways to engage the students in more discussion & maybe even in case study analysis.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Hey Miriam,

I'm a boomer too! And yes, I find myself lecturing that way too. Recently, after a teaching observation my Program Director encouraged me to do more "Collaborative Learning" in the classroom. In theory, it makes the students more responsible for their own learning.

Namaste, Shelia

Shelia,
this type of learning activity can be very helpful & I think you will find your Gen Y students are comfortable with this method.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I'm definitly a "Boomer"". It seems we memorized 'til the cows came home.but it was the way at the time to train our memories...and we learned what we were expected to. We did not, however have the vast access to the world as the newer generations. I find they have a difficult time memorizing and are expected to use technology to assist in their learning process.
In teaching, I still rely on the white board demonstration,model,explain approach...and it seems to be widely accepted; maybe because for many, it's not just watching videos or sitting at a computer.
I do not use the internet in the adult classes (I do some in Jr. high classes with teenagers), but tend to have students work in groups and encourage questioning. I also encourage them to use learning websites for reinforcement at home.

Think about engaging students at the beginning of class by generating a "talk about me" situation.

Often adult students can better relate to course content if they have experienced and are willing to share with others.

Taking time for real life experience discussions may be an effective class hook, more so than reviewing the course objectives.kg

It is important to remember that technology experienced by each generation originated with the previous one. As a "boomer" in graduate school in the late 60's and early 70's, innovations in teaching were being developed by the veterans who, in turn, guided us in reassessing teaching technology. We learned to look at new ideas and to either accept or reject innovations.

Duane,
yes, we can embrace the technology & also realize that we still have many things we can teach to the next generation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Count me in as a Boomer! I teach Graphic Design and Photography. In Photography, hands-on and collaborative learning almost happens of itself just by the nature of the subject: you can talk all day about photos, but till you work at making them, theory doesn't stick. Graphics is less collaborative and more individual, but I still try to incorporate as much hand-on and group learning as possible.

Yes, I'm a Baby Boomer and also still teach with the whiteboard but use it by questioning them on the topic and getting there responses and if correct putting it on the board for all to see....for me it is the same difference in presenting it in a powerpoint however sometimes the powerpoint gives the answers and doesn't allow the student to think...unless you just write up questions I think it is less time consuming since I am not as quick with the new technology,,..even though I force myself to use it.

Cooperative learning is a great tool for teaching. If you are not comfortable with this concept start in a small way. Use pairs as opposed to large groups. A useful strategy is Think, Write, Pair , Share. The teacher poses a questions, and the students record their answers individually then they discuss their answer with their neighbor. To make sure that each student listens to the other student's response, when you call on a pair, you may ask them to share their neighor's response.

Jeff,
yes, this is a great way to stimulate discussion on key ideas or even controversial topics. Generally students are more comfortable sharing in the smaller setting.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am a boomer and I can relate to this statement.
Being a new instructor of complicated material, I am bringing home a lot of reading material so I feel I am prepared for my next class. The dental sciences have gotten much more complicated and precise then 30 years ago. I have been peparing power poing games with question and answers. Any other suggestions to make the classes more interesting?

Bonita,
my only other suggestion would be to really think about the real world application or stories/examples that can be used. Perhaps some role plays or case studies related to the material?

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment