Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tensions between cohorts...

I often have students from three generational cohorts in the same class. The Gen Y's and Boomers often clash in learning styles and even avoid each other in group activities. What are the best ways for an instructor to bridge these tensions?

Mark,
this is definitely a challenge. If we can find ways to group them & allow them to see the value in the different generations' perspective, I've found that often they start working together more effectively.

Dr. Ryan Meers

In class I have assigned groups randomly often to collaborate about a test. Students all want to get a good grade and all seemed to engage well. Sometimes each generation brought their own tools--for example someones good study or book skills complimented someone using their computer to find the correct answer.

Carrie ,
this is a great strategy that seems to help the various generations appreciate each other more.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Uniting the students based on their interests often works well. I also frequently have students across the three generations in class. By the time I have students in class they have usually been together in class for awhile so they have formed cliques (for lack of a better word). But usually, the groups are not exclusive to age; they are based on student learning style and seriousness. I frequently find students of varying ages together based on how often they study, passion for their field and the grades they receive.

Summer,
yes the generations can work together & we need to provide an atmosphere to help them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I tend to group my diverse classes together, each group containing different generations to assist each other in teacheing through their diffuse experiences

A common goal might be the key

Valentina,
yes if we can rally our students around that common goal they might work better together. Have you found success with this?

Dr. Ryan Meers

I also often have 2 or 3 generational cohorts on class at the same time. I feel although the classmates are even sometimes older than myself. We have to bridge the gap here and try to make them understand that no matter what we are still a team if they are put together in a group. So maybe one generations experience could absolutely help anothers thought process. And accomplish quite a bit together

I have found the best way to handle this is by making groups with the different generations mixed up.

Grouping different generations together is the best learning experience for all involved. However when students pick there own lab groups, I notice they tend to pick piers of a similar generation and learning style. This can be great if they all gel together and great things are accomplished or terrible if you have 3 or 4 individuals with challenged learning styles that cannot think for themselves.

You have to find the right mix. I notice if you put older students with young students and the older stundent lacks the skill to stay calm it not so great.

We have our students work in group settings ,I pick who is going to be in a group when ever possible I mix generations because when in a working situtation all generations neet to understand the learning abilities out side of their age gruop to be sucessfull

I noticed same thing in my class, but I always remind my students how important is teamwork!!!
and employers are always looking for a team player that gets along with everyone.

When assigning study groups, I try to mix up the generations and make it a point to advise the class that they will not only need to work together for a common goal as well as they could learn from each others diversity.
I remind them of the diversity in the class and that upon entering the field, they will have the same diversity there as well.
I also advise them that their customer swill have generational differences and we must be able to effectively communicate with all groups in order to be successful.

Both cohorts need to realize that, while there are differences in each of the groups, there are also things to be learned from either group. The Y's fall short with critical thinking, and problem solving skills. The boomers tend to need help making use of todays technology.

Today I would take the time to explain the differences between the generations so that we all began to understand each other. Particularly bridging the gap between Veterans/baby boomers and gen X & Y. Often we put other generations down because we can't see through their generational lens, so it becomes increasingly important to understand each others perspective on life, our experiences and how we learn. For example having shared experiences - Veterans and Baby boomers can relate to things like struggle and fighting for rights but when we try to talk to our children Gen X and Gen Y, these are only things they have read about or seen on television. We somehow have to make the connection a reality to them in so many ways.

I think that the best way is to openly discuss both sides and show the valid points that both have. Both generations have good learning styles, we should make them both aware of this.

Mixing up the students is a good idea because they can not choose their co-workers so students have to learn to adapt in a professional manner.

Sign In to comment