Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What learning methods have you used to help with disabilities

Over the past years I have worked with many students with disabilities. My main focus is to help them with a variety of learning methods. Often times these methods will include memory association, written and verbal guidelines, and overall sympathy to there needs. What methods have you used?

John,
You seem to be referencing study skills and a focus on learning styles -- certainly good tools for any student, disabled or not. Accommodations tend to focus manipulating the (academic) environment in some way (rather than just helping the student find a way to study more effectively). Extended time in testing and providing alternate media (Braille, large print, etc.) would be examples.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I had a student with dyslexia. I noticed that he could not clearly understand the text because when he took tests, he scored quite low but he was knowledgeable in t he subject matter during lectures. I gave my students a culinary French test. This student requested a time privately to take the test - away from the other students. I read the test out loud to him. He earned an A! I did not change anything on the test, just read it out loud for him. I was so proud of him!

Cathleen,
This is a great example both of accommodation AND of experimenting with options for support. My next question would be whether, once you had determined that he did just fine when the test was read aloud, you proceeded to arrange for all future tests (be they in English or French) were read to him, as well!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

We use an audio system for the test readings. We feel being able to see and hear the test works well.

Ben ,
That may be a great addition for all students, not just students with disabilities. Are you using some kind of text-to-speech software, or is there some other technology in place?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment