Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reflection #11, on wheelchair obstacles

One of the obstacles for a student in a wheelchair, that has been encountered at my school, was the height of computer desks. The student had a motorized wheelchair, which sat higher up than a normal chair. The school bought desks to accommodate her, in each computer class that she would be taking. This helped her through her program.

Another obstacle is the amount of space between desks and/or tables, to move around in a wheelchair. Most of our classrooms have tables, so they can be moved for the wheelchair students; the other students will still have enough room, and can be close enough to hear and see the instructor. The instructor will also still have room to move around,while lecturing or at the board. Students accept change like these pretty quickly, and things seem to go smoothly.

Those are two good examples of the barriers that students in wheelchairs experience regularly. Now consider some of the less obvious problems. Imagine yourself in a wheelchair, trying to use the bathroom that you visit daily at your school. Could you manage the doors (pulling them open by yourself and getting through them?). Can you see in the mirror? Can you get under the sink? Can you reach the towel dispenser -- or is there a waste basket blocking the way? Over the years, I have become and "expert" on inaccessible bathrooms. It is a real eye-opener. ;-)

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I see your point, in your questions. For many years, my workplace has accommodated for handicapped students. There is one large handicapped stall in each of the bathrooms; in the larger women's here, there is a regular-sized stall that also has handicapped bars. The sinks and the towel dispensers are low enough for anyone in a wheelchair. The doors on each bathroom open wide enough.

I understand that all workplaces do not want to go to the expense of accommodating for the disabled. I know that you do not have to be in a wheelchair to be disabled; those of us who suffer with arthritis really appreciate those stalls during a flare(I'm one of those).

There is also the obsticle of the able-bodied students who tie up the handicapped facilities. I have, on more than one occasion, seen a student in a wheelchair have to wait for the handicapped stall to become available - even when other facilites are empty.

Kevin,
I know of one campus (large state school) that "deputizes" their students in wheelchairs and gives them the power to give tickets to cars parked in disability parking areas without proper "handicapped parking" signs. Maybe we could figure out a way to get 'em coming out of the stalls?! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

These are excellent questions to bring to light although me as an Instructor have not encountered this situation not say that I will not. However; If I do, I will surely put this enlightened information to use.

Thanks for the knowledge,

Alnita,
Think in terms of how students who use a wheelchair perceive your campus, from the parking lot to the classroom, to the bathrooms, to the cafeteria line. It can be a somewhat startling experience to realize how much those of us without disabilities take for granted in our environment.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

We have not experienced a person in a wheel chair in our program, which is a automotive tech program. We have a deaf person attending and witness the challenges she has. She is being successful and scoring well. Intersting thoughts on how a wheel chair would access some of our training aids.

Aha! Tricky statement there, John. It isn't the wheelchair that has to access your training aids -- it is the PERSON who typically is in the wheelchair. It is not uncommon for folks to assume that someone who is a wheelchair user MUST spend all their time in the wheelchair (that is, cannot get up from the chair). That simply isn't necessarily the case. If the student is quadriplegic, they may not be able to get out of the wheelchair without help -- but they are unlikely to be able to pursue a role in automotive tech, either (not impossible, but unlikely!). If the individual is paraplegic (limited only from the waist down) he/she may have significantly more upper body strength that others of their size (from all that exercise they get rolling their wheelchair around!). I have friends in chairs who regularly shift themselves in and out of a standard car seat, or down on the floor and then back in their chair. I also know folks who use wheelchairs to get around because of stamina issues, but are capable of standing and walking short distances. Never say never! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

In my former career,I worked with a audio installation tech who happened to be a paraplegic. That guy was amazing to watch. He could do amazing things with his upper body to get into cars, in the trunks, and twist himself into places that I would have thought to be impossible for him, given his disability. I learned from him that my perceptions of disability were misguided by my abilities. He proved me wrong. I look at people with any kind of a "disability" now as a different version of their own ability. Most of the time, obstacles are only a challenge, not an impossibility.

Tracey ,
Years ago, there were some really creative bumper stickers and posters put out there in an attempt to enhance disability awareness. I remember seeing a college student, on one of my visits to a campus, who had a great bumper sticker stuck to the back of his wheelchair. It read, "I may not be perfect, but parts of me are terrific!"

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Had a student that was only about 3 feet tall and couldnt walk very good and had to use a wheel chair. Electric one awesome student. The wheels locked when the motor stopped and he would use the feet platform as a stacd so he can get under the hood of our clip cars. He wasnt at a disadvantage. One of the coolest students I know.

Robert,
I love hearing stories like this. Such unexpected triumphs are what lead us to CHANGE our expectations for others!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

One of my students who was in a wheelchair appreciated that when I talked with her I either sat in a chair next to her or knelt on my knees. This way we could have eye contact without her having to strain to look up.

Emily,
EXCELLENT! This kind of "wheelchair etiquette" seems largely ignored these days. But you are right. Sometimes we establish an unintended advantage over folks just by putting them in an awkward position before the conversation starts. Getting down to eye level is important.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

As father of son who uses a wheelchair and a teacher, I have found that many institutions have up their game in helping these students achieve their goals. As teacher we now have to provide the environment for them to excel at what they are good at. This also means we have to educate the typical students on how be accommodating of their piers.

Eon

Eon,
As the mother of a daughter who uses a wheelchair, I concur! I like your reference to providing an environment for them to excel -- that is what the law and accommodations are all about. We don't guarantee success, but we try to make the environment a "neutral" in the equation, so that they disability isn't the reason for their struggles.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment