Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Supporting Diverse Students

What  majority groupdo you mainly see in your classroom and has it been hard to relate?

Mostly minority students.  It has not been hard to relate. Many of them are adult learners that are fairly serious so that it never a problem.  

Mostly female and minority students. The female aspect throws me off a bit as they are health care field students and I think the female ratio tends to reinforce the stereoptype of female nurses, etc. 

Mostly female and Gen Y students. Every now and then I get a few Baby Boomers.

Over time it has changed.  As a instructor in the health care field, specificaly massage therapy, now I see mostly Gen Y students. It used to be mostly female Gen X students but now a little more gender diversity amoungst the Gen Y students.  Most of the time I do not have a hard time relating.  However, most in my experience do not get my concerns and warnings about the potential negative impact of social media can have on their careers.

I am seeing more international students.  I am learning not to praise the students in front of other classmates as I have been told by the students that it makes them feel very uncomfortable.  I teach the same content but I do slow down my speech and provide written notes to help ELL students with content and  vocabulary.

Sign In to comment