Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I KNOW YOU CAN REFLECT SOFT PEOPLE SKILLS OR HARD PEROPLE SKILLS ,

How do we gain trust to new group of students when we show soft people skills....should we be firmer?

I think I am better at soft people skills and sometimes I think my students confuse that with a very soft teacher....what is my limit?

Hello,

I think there is a necessary fine balance between our soft people skills and that firmness that you mention. I have always approached it in a way that incorporates both, especially early in a semester. One can argue that students are seeking and even expecting leadership from an instructor, with soft people skills being a given in any professional interaction, including in the class setting.  Perhaps the difference as an instructor, particularly on the college level, is that the students have paid for this experience and they have realigned their life schedule for this commitment and learning the hard skills associated with a given course, from an expert in the field who exudes confidence and positive energy. I also believe that they, more times than not, probably feel more assured and comfortable when it is communicated (verbally, through body language and perhaps with just the right amount of seriousness in tone) that the atmosphere will be as structured as it needs to be, with certainly enough room to make each class an enjoyable experience. Leading the way with a hint of firmness, while remaining positive and sensitive to your group, has always been the best of both worlds for me. 

Tom Ruggio

So True Thomas.... It is a necessary balance

Thomas is right. I have had students think I'm soft due to being more forgiving in there actions during a lab event or classroom . I try in making the classroom a relaxed learning area where students are free to ask question and interact with the lecture part.Some may think I have low control due to what they precieve. But I do make it clear that I will enforce what nneds to be enforce as the stiuation arrises. I want the freeness to learn and not the legalistic approach. Once the students find that yes you do have the knowlegde of the technical side of learning and feel that the class is a relaxed atmosphere I find teaching and learning are now hand in hand.

Sign In to comment