Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teaching computers

i am computer illiterate and i would like to know more about the computer. there should be teaching on the job, instead of not hiring someone with experience

I agree with this. What I have learned about computers I have learned fron individuals at work,or on my own through trial,and error.

Many people (myself included) learn by using. If computer tasks were included that were simple and informative many would learn faster. I used to teach a computer literacy class at a local community college in their continuing education program. I called it my "This is a computer, that button turns it on class." It was filled with computer illiterate people. I found the best way was to use analogies to every day objects people were familiar with. No matter where I've worked I've found the people around me were a resource I could use. I listen, find areas where they are strong, then avail myself of their knowledge. Unless you work in a vacuum, look around. Odds are the answers to your questions are within your sight.

Alcide,
I myself love trial and error. I have started over many a project due to needing to learn a new task.

Shelly Crider

Gerry,
I think we do see this more and more.

Shelly Crider

Beth,
Check out Microsoft.com they have a lot of training videos.

Shelly Crider

With anything it just takes time. Youtube can be a great source of computer tutorials, along with Digital Tutors but Digital Tutors is more software focused around digital arts and film.

Chris,
Trial and error has taught me a lot through the years!! Not to be afraid of "breaking" something is one item we as instructors need to get over!

Shelly Crider

i wish i had more computer knowledge what i gained has been by trying and by learning from students.

Joseph,
Trial and error is a good way to teach yourself!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment