Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thoughts on incorporating essay assignments into technical course

I teach a Revit course and was thinking about having the students answer a few essay questions aimed at them demonstrating the value of Revit and BIM software in general in today's work place. Do you think this would be an effective assignment or would it be preferable to stick to assignments that require the students to demonstrate knowledge of how to use the design program?

Mark,
Absolutely!!! This puts the student in the real work place! Love this idea!!

Shelly Crider

I have helped develope newer curriculum at our school and one of the top goals was to promote critical thinking. By using essay assignments in the curriculum we have in essence, asked open ended questions and sparked that critical thinking process.

I believe that we can also use these type questions on our final exams. It may take a little extra time with grading (just like when adding it as an assignment) but the feedback of just what was learned is GREAT.

I agree. I teach at a technical school and having some kind of essay typle question would I think help the students not only remember the aspects of a particular system but better understand how and why the system works which would extremely helpfull in the field when trying to diagnose a problem with that system.

Ian,
Good point....in your own words is a great way of knowing what you know!!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment