Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Putting a group presentation together

In every class I teach, whether it be for the technical school or the university, I incorporate group presentations. If the class is big enough, the groups will be split into two, having two group leaders coordinate the presentation. I teach allied health professionals and nurses so I stress the importance of being able to work as a team. Before they split into their respective groups, they are given a very detailed rubrik. The final grade is broken down into the following: the team's evaluation of the individual group member, audience feedback from the other team, and the instructor's evaluation. I ask the individual team members write their evaluations anonymously, so they can really tell me how much or how little that group member participated in the project. The group leader is also evaluated by their team members.

I fine this to be an excellent way to promote team cohesiveness, effective communication skills and presentation skills. It is often interesting to see the comments from the different group members.

I currently assigned one of the classes which I have been having problems with in terms of professionalism and lack of cohesiveness. They are resisting, however, I trust in the long run, they will be forced to work together and finally get the point of the whole exercise. The outcome remains to be seen, but trust it will be a positive one.

Any suggestions on how, I can get them to buy in on the group presentations without relying solely on the weight of the presentation on their final grades? I often have to answer questions like: "why do we have to do this?", "I work better alone", "why did you have to put me in that girl's group?". My generic answer; "it builds team spirit"

Rommel ,
I like this....how do you select the leaders or do you let them emerge?

Shelly Crider

I like this idea and think it could really help as far as knowledge of students. I work with students from 18-65 yrs. old. The the experiances are vass. the interaction could help leson planing to go more smoothly. planning and organization is usually a weak piont.

In each of my classes I assign projects that includes a written paper, a presentation, and handouts. I usually assign the groups but I let each group pick their topics from a list of appropriate class topics.

Kelvin,
This really brings the generation together and a lot of unexpected knowledge can transpire among the group.

Shelly Crider

Danielle,
Most students do not like group work, but when they have a little more say in the topic, they tend to do better.

Shelly Crider

This has also been my experience,most of the time a few rise to the occation of leader and the take over which is undesirable. while others seem to fade into the shadows. I like the group idea for learning but dont want one student to excell while others falter

Scott,
That is the work force in general....we want those to rise to the occasion! We want to teach that student who just might be the next Steve Jobs!

Shelly Crider

I do the opposite...I let the students form groups of 3-4 and assign the topic. A detailed rubric, peer evaluation, an individual research portion, an outline/handout with all team members research on it and a group activity must created.
I give some class time for practicing the information out loud...seems to help lessen the nerves!

Deborah,
I like how you give practice time to lessen the nerves!

Shelly Crider

In my classes I will assign projects that could includes presentation(usually powerpoint)and a written assigment.I assign the groups but I let each group pick the topics.I like to create a team from strong & weak members the group will have to wotk together & comminicate & the weak usually will become stronger from constructive critism.

Katherine,
I always like to see a weaker student rise up to the meet the need of the class but also their own confidence level.

Shelly Crider

I have a few students who are content to let others do the work in group settings. Not sure at this point if they are shy, lazy or feel inadequate. Never considered anonymous team evaluations. But will that be sufficient motivation to get them going or just make them more self-conscious because they know they will be "under the microscope?"

Charla,
Evaluations are always a little unnerving, at school or at work.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment