Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

becoming a long life learner

it is very important that we encourage our students to keep learning

brenda,
Sharing that you yourself have to keep up with courses is a great discussion all in itself!

Shelly Crider

I try to talk to my students about learning is a life long job.The industry is changing every year with new advancements and it will be up to them to teach themselves most of the time to stay current.

I also talk to my students about how they’re learning is and ongoing journey. That in our industry technology is always changing and we will always have the need to learn. I will talk to them and use myself as an example, due to the fact that even as there instructor I have to continually take training courses.

I tell my students that, even I still am learning new information, everyday. Learning never stops. For our choosen job... to our hobbies, Life never stops showing us that their is always more to learn.

Ron,
Once you open that gate, many students will have questions. Those students who are quiet....will read all the posts anyway and will pick up pointers!

Shelly Crider

Billy,
I love the word journey!!! So many people like to be called thrill seekers or other nice adjectives, but the bottom line is their journey to their destination!

Shelly Crider

Charles,
I love how you add our own hobbies. Life is simply not about a job...or it should not be anyway.....life is learning new things wherever you may be!

Shelly Crider

I am in a technical skill, i.e. motorcycle mechanics instructor. I constantly remind my students that this is the first step of a life long learning process. Every new model year something new is introduced and or technical changes come out. We must stay on top of our game and keep up with the changes or get left behind. We have to constantly keep up with new technology by continuing education and self development.

Michael,
I am glad that you do as many people know nothing about mechanics and rely on others to do the best for their vehicle.

Shelly Crider

We are always learning whether we know it or not. I am a teacher in the audio field. I instill in my students that the whole industry is in a constant change from business to recording. They must keep up on all the new trends to help to succeed. I think that by giving them examples of myself and other professionals as life learners they can see the relevance of obtaining knowledge, not just watching a you tube video, but using that information in a hands on manner.

Mike,
Good point to add others that you know in your personal experience!

Shelly Crider

As an automotive instructor, I am always looking for different ways for students to see as many different points of views as they can. Learning never stops in this profession and sometimes I feel that they look at the instructors and think we already know everything. I learn just like they do, its just at a different level. I always try to share how much time and effort that I spend reading to stay ahead of the curve. After completing ED-205 I do have some new ideas about incorperating some writing projects into our lectures that should help them as they learn.

Rick,
I like the statement about different points of view....this is oh so true!

Shelly Crider

I agree. I am now enroll in an advanced Revit computer class in our community college as a Senior adult and give encouragement to students that the are just BEGINNING the learning journey.

Pat,
This is so good to hear! Everyone needs a little extra encouragement now and then.

Shelly Crider

I call this reinventing myself. There have been two distinct times in my life I recall having to transition into another phase of my career. In doing so, I had to acquire some new skills so that I could remain working in the field of my choice. Ironically enough, I see myself going through yet another transition time. At this point, it's a matter of deciding on a direction so the necessary additional skills can be acquired (learned) so I can walk into this next phase.

Rick,
Ahhhh, this is a good discussion question in your classroom! We all go through some changes in our career.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment