Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

having a positive attitude

I sometimes find if difficult to have a positive attitude when students are not passionate or interested in what they are learning.

Hi Shannon,

I too have this problem and can find myself very frustrated at times with the students lack of interest or motivation. I find it helpful to ask the students in a feedback session what they would like to learn about the topic at hand and in the next lesson I try to bring in some of the things they have asked for.

Shannon,
It is hard, but you can be the catalyst to help them get over the hump. Keep your head up and keep moving forward.
Philip Campbell

SARAH ,
Asking questions can help overcome some of those interaction obstacles. Great suggestion!
Philip Campbell

It is difficult to transfer knowledge and engage students or colleagues if we overlook aspects related to cultural diversity and the general living conditions most students have to deal in today’s economy. I have seen a big difference in the student demographics and what motivates may vary greatly because of overload of information. To motivate and transfer values we must generate an environment of trust, transparency, understanding of expectations, and how we deliver the message. Sometimes if we go back and try to understand the non-verbal language we can improve our own communication which most often is inundated with our own misunderstandings. When I encounter that type of scenario, I just monitor my own reaction to the situation and how I can bring a positive state of energy to my present moment. Our roles is to promote positive change and offer opportunities to expand knowledge.

I am very passionate about the subject I teach. I think having a positive attitude can transform the way others feel. I have been teaching over 10 years, and I know students constantly request to take my classes. I feel very fortunate!

Martha,
A positive attitude will help you to overcome many obstacles.
Philip Campbell

I agree that having a positive attitude with disinterested students takes more effort.

Sign In to comment