Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubbing Off Professional Behavior and Time Management on Students

We have all had terms where new class was given to us at the last minute, or there was a last minute schedule change. This last minute change can often put the teacher a bit off-kilter, especially toward the beginning of the term. I've had this happen before myself, and I've noticed that if I project a vibe of poor time management and poor preparedness, this rubs off on the students in a very bad way.

One thing I make sure to do know with all of my classes, and make a very intentional projection of professionalism, good time management, positive attitude, and preparedness -- even if I'm having a rough day, didn't get enough sleep, or the class is at 8am.

Things I make sure to do include:
1. Grading papers/projects on time. I make sure to get all grades finished within 1-2 days of when they were turned on. Not only does this give the students a grade reference quickly, but it also projects an attitude of "we get things done in this class" and promotes good time management.
2. Stand as often as possible during lecture -- a seated teacher can often project a tired teacher, and won't demand the students attention.
3. Give students independence on hands on projects -- I want the students to have just the right balance of pressure to complete an assignment on time, and enough help from me so they don't get lost. If I continually help a student on each step of an assignment, without pushing them to self-learn a bit, they will not learn to be professionally motivated to complete assignments on time, and may learn poor time management.
4. Overall, just project a vibe of professionalism and confidence, dress appropriately, speak confidently, be on time (be early), be overly prepared, and maintain a positive attitude. These traits will rub off on your students if you implement them every time you teach.

I certainly ty to set a good example of professional behavior: I dress professionaly, I get to class early, I have papers graded, and I have materials I'll need in neat stacks in front of me. I never sit down - I believe that it is part of my job to bring not just technical information to the class, but 'excitment'. That is probably less of a 'professional issue' than a motivation issue. The students can see that I am energized by what I am doing and I'm enjoying it (teaching).

I was new at teaching and my first job was teaching at a college. I had signed my employee papers the same day classes started. I had no time to prepare for my classes for the first day. I was a mess. I walked into the classroom as if I have been doing this for years. I was flying by the seat of my pants. I did it and years later, I ask my students how the class was there first day and they stated they did not know I was new. I was sure happy to hear that.

Holly,
That is great. What helped with that was your confidence. Students will see that and that will make them uncomfortable or comfortable depending on how you present yourself.
Philip Campbell

Always being able to "practice what you preach" in front of your class sets up a good way of leading by example.

Robb,
That is hard for some people. Keep working that, and others will follow.
Philip Campbell

Professional behavior and time management in the class room should always be modeled by the instructor. We need to set these standards not only for classroom management, but life management, especially in the workplace. Classroom habits carry into their profession.
Appearance, respect, being punctual, efficient, emotional control, preparedness,etc., are all part of being a great employee. We are their mentors.

Debbie,
All of these examples are great and the students will benefit from it. yes, whether we like it or not, or want to be, we are mentors.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment