Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being a good listener

Being a good listener is the key to all skills.

Absolutely. Half of the time I'm able to solve the "problems" that end up in my office by simply listening. My students often come from worlds where few people listen -- making silence far more powerful than words. The trick, of course, is knowing when to listen and when to speak. :)

Michelle ,
Sometimes that is all that people need, an ear to listen to them.
Philip Campbell

I have found that for what ever issues students have that it may not nesasarly be whats going on in the class room but maybe stuff out side that ahs them distraught, when ever a studnet is brought to my office i let them know that what every talk about is strictly confidential. Then i proceed to talk to them by asking so whats going on and if there is something they may want to talk about how is class going and what did they do this week end. Then i talk about thing like what i did during the weekend and kind of let them know that we are real people just like them and i am thier to help them get though what ever thier in my office for. Then they will for the most part open up and let me in to help them. I think this is the best part of my job and is far worth more than any compinsation i could recieve.

Listening to my students is really the first step into solving any of their issues. Sometime by silently listen to them, they can hear themselves as well and they will suggest the solution.It create more problems when they can't express themselves regarding any issue. When you listen to the them, it express how much you value htem as a person, and their opinion matters as well. Even if the result is not what was expected, but they feel like it is fair because they had an opportunity to be heard.

I agree. I have seen many of my students succeed simply because one day I chose to listen to them. True that many people all they need is a listening ear but when that listening ear is accompanied by encouraging words, miracles can happen.

Maria,
Listening is all it takes some days.
Philip Campbell

I think listening is the key to helping students in most situation, you should listen, repeat, then comment on the issue.

Ranee,
Most times, if you listen that is all it takes.
Philip Campbell

I agree also. Listening to your students helps to develop a feel for each individual within the classroom. Everyone displays different emotions and feelings. Allowing yourself to be a good listener can enable the classroom to follow suit and be good listners too.

I agree that listening will help students in most situations. I think it helps me to understand my students' situations, and it helps them to know that I do care.
However, I often find that I must be very careful about any comments that I make. Typically, I try to say, "Thanks for sharing that with me. I hope ___ works out for the best." I will say a minimal amount for that particular situation so as not to become involved or interject my personal beliefs/opinions. I think the latter can be a challenge.

Melissa,
Many times it is hard to not have an opinion about something. Many times it is easier to avoid as to not start an argument or a discussion that could go the wrong way.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment