Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Most important soft skill in the workplace

I've found the most important soft skill in the workplace today is listening. Many times we struggle to get out our ideas to others similar as others are trying to get their ideas out to us. Everyone is speaking, but no one is listening to each other. I've found good listeners typically repeat what others are telling them prior to responding. One of Steven Covey's 7-Habits of Effective People (5th Habit) was to "seek first to understand, then to be understood".

Roberto,
Listening to what people are saying is as important as other skills.
Philip Campbell

I agree that listening is an important skill. To me, dependability is the most important. If someone is present, they will benefit from all of the other skills.

While I see listening as an important soft skill, I disagree that it is the most important. The ability to maintain a positive attitude and stay focused seems to me the most important. Through a positive attitude, the ability to listen, collaborate and problem solve are enhanced.

I think listening is definitely one of the most
important soft skill one can have.
So few people can actually listen without beginning to formulate their next comment.
If you are doing this you are not listening!
The person you are engaged with will pick up on that and stop trying.

Kelly ,
Everyone interprets soft skills to be different things and their importance on different levels. What is important is that you recognize that there is some merit to them.
Philip Campbell

I believe as teachers we believe we have the answer before we listen to all of the student's question. This attitude with the teachers creates an inability to listen effectively.

Suzanne,
Listening is key to becoming a teacher.
Philip Campbell

I agree with you. I feel the problem is not just with the students. My peers do not always listen and therefore you have miscommunicaton. This has always been a big issue.

Yvonne,
It is a global problem and to say it is a student issue is selling ourselves short. Communication is an issue everywhere. At home, work and in public. We all need to continue to work on them, and yes instructors are quick to point the finger. But why even point fingers when we can work to make it better? Thanks for the feedback.
Philip Campbell

I can't disagree with listening being incredibly important, but I would also tie it to Common Sense, which I think more and more people are missing these days. Without Common Sense, the other soft skills don't mean a whole lot.

Jason,
Common sense is a confusing one, because we all think others should have it, but we all suffer from the lack of it from time to time.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment