Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Working through emotions

In the workplace, there are many types of people that have many different types of personalities. One may have soft skills and display a character that another that has soft skills doesn't understand. Many people become offended too easily in the workplace. Many have underlying emotions that are brought to the workplace and taken out on other people. Soft skills are very important to have in any area of life especially when teaching. Being able to approach someone and be approachable are keys to be a successful instructor.

I completely agree with you Casey. When at the work place and being an approachable instructor it helps a lot. No one want to be around anyone that they can not talk to without attitude. Being able to work with a positive attitude allows people to be able to depend on them more. Soft skills are very important.

I believe soft skills are important when we are dealing with each other, not only our students. It is very important that we learn to leave home at home. Also, whatever may be going at work does not tricle to our staff and students.

I teach my students about being able to maintain a "poker face" to help them control their emotions.

Angela,
Correct. Dependability will help people get through adversity.
Philip Campbell

Taneshia,
In the classroom, in the office, both are important. Home should stay at home.
Philip Campbell

Jennifer,
Controlling emotions is extremely difficult and many struggle to do it.
Philip Campbell

that's a great way to do it - students as well as teachers need to be able to control their emotions

I use the phrase that feelings are not facts. There may be what you feel and what the reality is. So many times students act like the school is a person that is "out to get them". I frequently have to tell students that the school does't have a personal agenda against them. Most times it's a matter of perspective. I try to explain it's not an us vs them situation.

Monte,
Perspective is important. Also something difficult to train. Keep working with students and you will see results.
Philip Campbell

i agree with you if we bring our issues to work then there is a good cance that the students would be uncomfortable around you or even asking a question

Sign In to comment