Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating students with positive attitude

It is true...you get what you give...So, when you bring a positive attitude to the classroom, you will, mostlikely, receive the same from your students.

Karmle,
Good for you. Keep bringing that to the classroom. The students will thrive off of it.
Philip Campbell

A positive attitude motivates the environment for teaching and learning. When students see that the instructor is upbeat and energized, students are easily engaged.

Margo,
Energy is addictive and contagious. The most energetic instructors are usually the most memorable ones.
Philip Campbell

Keeping the energy high in class keeps students motivated and eager to learn. It also seems to be the best way to reduce behavior problems in the class. We instructors have great power to use our charisma to invite students into the learning experience.

Nathan,
You are right, you do have the power. Keep things positive and that is what the environment will be.
Philip Campbell

I am an instructor in a Respiratory Care Program here in California, I teach Renal and Cardiac A & P; and the review course for the National Boards (RRT). I have high standards, and expect the same from my students. I push them to their maximum. This sometimes results in stress in the classroom. I have always practiced “praise in public, punish in private”. I have always kept a great attitude in the classroom when teaching and sharing knowledge. However if there is a “conflict”, it is more appropriate to solve the issue away from the other students. On the other hand, if resolving the “conflict” in the classroom using good soft skills would benefit all of the students, without alienating anyone, I believe this is the way to go. Everyone wins.

I agree. I also believe that being positive in the classroom reinforces a caring and respectful atmosphere.

I can not stress enough how important it is to bring a positive attitude into the classroom on a daily basis. Even though, this may be difficult to do at times because we all have personal life issues that occur that may prevent us from portraying a positive attitude always within our classroom; however, as instructors we set an example we must do our best to put our life issues aside and remain positive for our students.

Falisia,
True, the students will see and pick up on if you are not having a good day. That is not something they should have to deal with.
Philip Campbell

So then if you are teaching technical sills in the classroom, you should use your soft skills to bring that motivational energy. You may not be able to to do it all the time but you can certainly give the class some occasional injections of motivation to keep things lively right?

Paul,
True. Keeping students engaged keeps them motivated, even if the content is not interesting.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment