Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

managing emotions

it is very important tomanage the students emotions eapecially in a new enviornment. it is easy for them to lose control and not learn effectively.

I definitely agree with this statement and would like to add the importance of time management in the classroom as well as stress management. Both play a huge part in being a successful employee, student, and employer.

Stress management seems to be a key element in my experience with teaching in clinical/hands on settings. When other people are involved in the learning and not just the student, then the pressure to 'deliver' often is perceived as overwhelming.

I agree that what is in one's control over time management does aid in the reduction of stress, and therefore aids in controlling one's emotions.

I have learned success in managing students emotions is to make sure I have managed my own. Whatever has happen in my life before I enter the classroom I do not allow to be relevant. I always begin class with an above average upbeat attitude, greeting students,demonstrating I am happy to see them.

Well put. I also believe that attitudes are contageous and as instructors it's our responsibility to keep up the morale. I'm sure we've seen cases where one bad apple can ruin the bunch.

I have an assignment that is highly emotive, and I use it in my class so that students learn how to manage their emotions through writing. The Rogerian approach to writing is a great way to help students manage their emotions, as well.

Hands on teaching can evoke many emotions including much frustration if the student is not a tactile learner, so stress management is key in maintaining a positive teaching environment.

It seems to be required on a daily basis. Sometimes the students come in emotional, with an attitude or just not relating to others. it seems like a major component is trying to teach them soft skills they can use in the classroom and in their future jobs. I try and lead by example and use examples (but it is not always easy).

The students have actually looked to me to keep up the morale--and there have been some disappointed faces in my clinical group when I have failed to do this. I pick myself up and try to do better for them, because they are very special people who are trying to become better and change their lives.

I first acknowledge my emotional state if I cannot redirect my own energy, I have a backup plan that gets me back on track. I assign a quick redirect to the class for instance a quiz or a movie until I change my perceptions and energy to a positive direction for keeping control.

I think managing emotions is one of the most important skills in any workplace. Keeping emotions in check is crucial to be able to be a success at anything. If you let anger or fear or personal fellings get in the way you will fail.

Daniel,
This is a hard thing to do. Many of our reactions throughout a day are driven by emotions. To think that we have to be that mindful of this is important.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment