Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult learner

Adult learners are unique and at the same time, they are students like everyone else, because their common reason for coming to school, is to learn and complete their education and their career

Thanks David for the Reminder.   They are Adult Learners just like the Rest of Us.  I have forgetten what demands I must of had on my Professors.  Patience and then more Patience to assist in their learning process.

I find that adult learners need a lot of motivation.  I use several techniques when teaching adults such as KWL strategy. K=Know, W= Want and L= Learned.   I have students identify what they think they Know about the topic, suggest what they Want to know about the topic  and identify what they Learned about the topic. I also use learning models.    When adults witness other’s successes, they are prone to believe that they can also reach that desired goal.

I feel students take a lot more from the lesson content if they are actively engaged.  The more creative the presentation the higher the classroom energy that ultimately asists with the learnign process.

How do you impliment this? Have them write KWL on a sheet of paper and they fill out K&W before the lesson and L after?

adult learner can be both easier or more difficult to teach and each must be approached a bit differently.  They get excited about things differently and we as instructors need to be careful about that.  

Sign In to comment