Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Value of Course

How many of you think that this course was valuable

I have been teaching at the university level at 4 different institutions for over 10 years and have mostly taught at night. But I realized early on the huge difference when teaching adult learners versus young college age students.  This course seems to really highlight that huge difference and need to use different teaching strategies for each category of students and in some cases per student, for a new instructor this course would likely be very valuable.

There is not only a marked difference between between younger students and adult learners but there is also usually a marked difference between morning and night students. Most adult learners don't need or want to be entertained but would prefer to be challenged. Younger students seem to want to be "fed" info and/or entertained. You often have to use a mixed interactive style of presentation to reach as many students as you can.

I believe that all of the courses that I've taken have been valuable in one respect or another.  In some courses, I was able to reinforce concepts that I've previously learned.  Others, new terminology was introduced. 

Very valuable course with pertinent information, especially for the "new" instructor of adult learners. 

I recently stepped into this teaching situation without any formal training in education, but 15 + years of experience in my career field.   A close friend related the immediate need for an experienced clinician willing to share their experience with a class of adult vocational students, and my desire to help motivated me to take the position. My previous experience with teaching had included young children, school-age children and outdoor educational programs so I felt I might be able to adjust to this new environment. 

The technological demands, forms, paperwork, validations, proceedures and policies creating this behemoth we call "College" is quite overwhelming.  I have found the staff to be dedicated, friendly, competent and incredibly BUSY.  The jury is still out on whether this teaching position will work out for me, but I continue to try.      

I found this course very imformative as a new instructor. Over the course of my formal education I too noted the distinct differenecs between younger students and adult learners. 

The course presented the material is an easy to follow format that kept my attention. 

Sign In to comment